Veggie patch 2016 - 16/07 progress pics pg 8

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Veggie patch 2016 - 16/07 progress pics pg 8

Postby confusinglady » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:28 pm

@clothmama

So with not being able to sleep I started thinking about your veg patch and your feelings of being overwhelmed. I thought I could help?

My plan would be think about the following:
1. What do you like to eat?
2. What can you get cheap locally?
3. What do you like that is expensive locally?
4. What was successful last year?
5. What seeds do you have leftover from last year?

If it's overwhelming and too much with a non sleeping child and lots of potential visitors in the summer then you could scale it down to fewer variety of things or stick to things that take up lots of room and don't need as much maintenance like weeding.

Also don't panic I looked back at my notes and didn't have anything planted till 1st April. It's only your second year, I m on my 3rd here plus I ve shared an allotment years ago ( gave up as overwhelmed and my sharer pulled out). And grown veg in pots before my veg patch. I have half the size patch as you and currently I have one bed of collapsed runner beans and stupidly because I didn't take them down the wind has blown them over and snapped one of my canes.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Wow I never realised what a good resource journalling my garden story on here would turn out to be! I'm trying to put in my 2016 garden so that my growveg can work out my rotation stuff (it warns you where not to put things when you put it down) but realised I didn't have my original garden from this year in! Between the original plans and the photos I can pretty much replicate exactly what I need to and have all my plans in one place! I'm going to resubscribe to the growveg account as it is just invaluble to me with the size garden I have with the lack of experience I have too!
confusinglady wrote:@clothmama

So with not being able to sleep I started thinking about your veg patch and your feelings of being overwhelmed. I thought I could help?

My plan would be think about the following:
1. What do you like to eat?
2. What can you get cheap locally?
3. What do you like that is expensive locally?
4. What was successful last year?
5. What seeds do you have leftover from last year?

If it's overwhelming and too much with a non sleeping child and lots of potential visitors in the summer then you could scale it down to fewer variety of things or stick to things that take up lots of room and don't need as much maintenance like weeding.

@confusinglady I remember reading this and thinking what a wonderful, thoughtful post it was - I obviously did my usual I'm exhausted and I'll post later thing as the non sleeping (and probably iron as well) was pretty bad at that point! You know what I should have done? Followed your advice for 2017. And do you know what I went and did for the 2017 garden - did a whole load more new beds with a trip to Oz in the spring and the autumn with iron through my boots, got completely overwhelmed, the weeds took over, things weren't harvested and was generally a bit of a disaster :hohoho: :hohoho: (just harvested some missed carrots this morning!). This year I'm going to follow your sage advice!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:03 pm

:giggle: wow was that a year ago?! I give good advice hey?! :hohoho:
I ve not even thought garden yet :shock: feeling overwhelmed already! I love it though as I always get inspired by your garden ideas :widesmile:
Will make it my job to think about over the next few days.

Previous

Return to The Veggie Patch