Veggie patch 2016 - 16/07 progress pics pg 8

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Veggie patch 2016 - 16/07 progress pics pg 8

Postby clothmama » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:46 am

I'm starting a list of what we want to grow this year. I'm a bit scared as I've never grown much but we'd like to be as self sufficient as we can! I'm going to start quite small as that is what I've read is best your first year. This is what I'm thinking of doing:

Broccoli (2 varieties)
Roquette
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Green beans
Peas
Red peppers
Garlic
cauliflour
zucchini

strawberries
blueberries
raspberries

I've not included basics like potatoes and onions as I read that you are better off growing the more expensive stuff and not doing too much the first year and getting overwhelmed.

What do you think? anything that I've missed that I should really include?

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans!

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:17 am

We always grow some radishes!
We will grow potatoes as although I know what you mean they are an easy crop and the children enjoy digging them up.

I also want to try sweet corn this year as apparently that's quite easy and very yummy!

So on our list:
Potatoes
Radishes
Courgettes
Sweetcorn
Lettuce
Peas
Tomatoes

I'm not going mad this year, I don't think I'll manage!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:30 am

I may put some corn in as I already have the seeds! The thing is we have water issues and they are huge / need a lot of water and you only get one corn per plant!

autumnalgirl wrote:I'm not going mad this year, I don't think I'll manage!

Christi, do you think I'm taking on too much for my first season @autumnalgirl ?

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:43 am

I don't think so, nothing looks very hard work on that list, just normal weeding and watering (although I've never succeeded with blueberries, maybe we should try again).

I was thinking personally with a huge stomach/teeny baby I might not be at full speed!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Sounds great @clothmama :thumbsup:

My list is so far:
Garlic (already put in in the fall)
Potatoes - just because it taste so good when they are new and fresh
Green kale
Cabbage
And then we always have loads of herbs in big Flower pots on the terrace

And then we have strawberries, raspberries and blueberries :)

And my DH has chili in the greenhouse - really really strong ones

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Aeseldyr wrote:Garlic (already put in in the fall)

Does this mean I have left it too late :( I wonder if there is a winter or spring planting variety?

Aeseldyr wrote:And then we have strawberries, raspberries and blueberries :)

How do you find growing the raspberries and blueberries @Aeseldyr and how many of each do you have? We have 3 raspberries still in their pots so I'm hoping they are OK (I'm so bad at buying plants and not planting them :doh: )

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:22 pm

clothmama wrote:
Aeseldyr wrote:Garlic (already put in in the fall)

Does this mean I have left it too late :( I wonder if there is a winter or spring planting variety?

Aeseldyr wrote:And then we have strawberries, raspberries and blueberries :)

How do you find growing the raspberries and blueberries @Aeseldyr and how many of each do you have? We have 3 raspberries still in their pots so I'm hoping they are OK (I'm so bad at buying plants and not planting them :doh: )

I am really not a plant- person :giggle: but we have a very nice man at the local plant place :) I always ask him. Maybe you have such a place where you live.
Regarding the garlic what I have heard is that it goes in the ground in the fall before the ground freezes - but it might be different depending on your climate :huh:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:19 am

@clothmama
I blame you for my late night planning my veg patch :hohoho:

Yours looks like a good plan, I think mine is going to be similar. I can't decide whether to do potatoes this year, I did one row last year as I love the taste on new potatoes fresh from the garden and MIL have me some of hers that she had chitted but ran out of room. I might do some in the potato bags I ve got as I haven't really got enough room for them in the ground.
I m currently enjoying going out and cutting shoots from my purple sprouting broccoli which I thought had been eaten so much it wouldn't survive but it did!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

confusinglady wrote:I blame you for my late night planning my veg patch :hohoho:

:hohoho: :hohoho: sorry!!

Do you guys actually draw out and plan where everything is going to go @confusinglady @Aeseldyr @autumnalgirl ?

I bought some magazines of what to do this month too which I haven't read yet I'll try to find time to sit this weekend!

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch