Dumb planting distance question.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Dumb planting distance question.

Postby clothmama » Fri May 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Why do I have to leave a big distance between rows when between each plant it only needs say 10 cm but then you have to leave 40 cm between rows (for example) , surely plants dont' get fat in one direction??

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Dumb planting distance question.

Postby confusinglady » Fri May 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Dunno :giggle:

I never listen to it and then my plants go mad and I wish I had :hohoho: !

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri May 06, 2016 9:17 pm

:giggle: :giggle: and now I've just read that I can 'interplant' in the gaps between my shallots which sounds like a good plan LOL - I need to find out more about this!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat May 07, 2016 5:34 am

clothmama wrote::giggle: :giggle: and now I've just read that I can 'interplant' in the gaps between my shallots which sounds like a good plan LOL - I need to find out more about this!

Yep, I Ve planted lettuce inbetween my carrots and turnips. In theory they should be a quick turn around crop.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat May 07, 2016 8:48 pm

It makes sence - there seems to be such a lot of wasted space :lookround: I went a bit mad and did rows of peas with lettuces as well so we'll see if they work :giggle:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun May 08, 2016 6:17 am

clothmama wrote:It makes sence - there seems to be such a lot of wasted space :lookround: I went a bit mad and did rows of peas with lettuces as well so we'll see if they work :giggle:

It's that frustrating time of the growing season, when you've worked crazily hard preparing and planting and then there seems to be nothing to show for it......... And then in about 2 months you're over run by courgettes :hohoho:
I m at the 'is that what I planted or a weed?!' Stage so I darent pull anything out just in case :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun May 08, 2016 7:14 am

I'm exactly like that with my roquette, I'm pretty sure it hasn't really worked other than perhaps one or two of them (I planted a whole packet accidently :lookround: ) but I'm not really sure which they are even after watching a you tube video of them growing so I'm just having to leave that patch looking a bit weedy :giggle: I desperately need to get stuff in, there are big swathes of the garden empty!

Return to The Veggie Patch