hf1

Slugs!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Slugs!

Postby confusinglady » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:46 am

Argh! I seem to be overrun with slugs in my veg patch, I be never seen so many of the things before!!!
They are also eating their way through my lovely hostas too :(

So what really works to stop them eating my veg?
I read about sand and human or pet hair so I tried that yesterday but I think my butternut squash is beyond saving. So I might sew some more but I hate the thought of it just being eaten again.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Slugs!

Postby clothmama » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:13 am

I also had a bit of a run in with them - I lost most of my 70 odd zinnia seedlings :( I then used sand which I think did help a bit and was what I had. After that I also put out some organic stuff just to get them away from all my barssicas asap as they were really starting to go for it and I was worried I'd loose them all. I'd rather not use that so I've also been saving my egg shells, rinsed, and crushing them and putting them around everything that I've planted since (ie all my pumpkins, butternut etc) and they haven't been touched at all so I'm thinking that is a winner! I also have 3/4 of a bottle of beer been sat for 2 weeks waiting to try a beer trap but I haven't got there yet and the beer has gone very funky so not sure if I can even use it now, if I do end up trying that I'll let you know how it works.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:25 am

:thumbsup:
I tried the egg shells first but I wonder if I didn't crush them small enough. I then saw them using the bit of egg to walk on to get to the plant :doh:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:05 pm

confusinglady wrote::thumbsup:
I tried the egg shells first but I wonder if I didn't crush them small enough. I then saw them using the bit of egg to walk on to get to the plant :doh:

Cheeky so and sos!! Maybe I've just been lucky!

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:53 pm

I've used straw around my strawberries. They have hardly been touched but the potted cucumbers, tomatoes and cucumbers have been nibbled badly.

I may try some straw around and in the pots.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:18 am

I think you may have been lucky Jess as I have straw around everything and they got got! @Bugglyboo Or maybe they dont' like strawberries as mine havent' been touched either!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:55 am

clothmama wrote:I think you may have been lucky Jess as I have straw around everything and they got got! @Bugglyboo Or maybe they dont' like strawberries as mine havent' been touched either!

Nope they like strawberries, I ve lost a few of those too :(

I have honestly never seen as many slugs, they are everywhere! I picked off lots again last night. They are tiny though so hopefully I've got a few before they have chance to multiply!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:10 am

do you think it is the wet spring that has done it? It is unseasonably wet here, I've had over 100mm of rain until middle of June last weekend.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:15 am

clothmama wrote:do you think it is the wet spring that has done it? It is unseasonably wet here, I've had over 100mm of rain until middle of June last weekend.

I think it might be yes. With the rain today I can see puddles all over the veg patch. I hope it doesn't kill everything :(

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch