2016 Harvest!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: 2016 Harvest!

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:17 am

I thought I'd update on how summer crops are going after I started my autumn crop post (not sure hazels are actually autumn ones but it feels like it is when nuts are beign harvested!). We've had quite a lot of courgettes although they have slowed / stopped now because they caught powdery mildew :cry: :cry: Tomatoes are starting to ripen well, I've been getting regular cherry ones but in the last week or 2 I've started getting big ones too - I'd say around 1 a day. We've also had maybe 10 strawberries and 5 or 6 raspberries :giggle: We also had one big meal of beans but now they have all turned yellow (plants and beans and are not nice) so I'm not sure what happened there :-? My basil caught some sort of powdery mildew as well so had to pull up a lot of plants but some still looking good but not been great at pinching them off so crop less than it should be. I've pulled out my broccolli etc as they were just looking awful - I think I'll start again and try to get an autumn harvest of them - I think it was too hot and dry by the time I got them in. Onions and shallots have done well, I think I'll plant even more next year (although they aren't a high cost crop really).

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:41 am

Just posted on the Autumn post by mistake, probably should've posted here!

I don't think it's been a great year here, everything's been eaten by slugs/snails or caterpillar.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:22 am

confusinglady wrote:Just posted on the Autumn post by mistake, probably should've posted here!

I don't think it's been a great year here, everything's been eaten by slugs/snails or caterpillar.

confusinglady wrote:Still in summer harvest here, tomatoes started to ripen up in green house at the end of last week so we ve had a few. We ve had cucumber for most of the summer which have been lovely. We ve got a little collection of runner beans and a steady supply of courgettes. It's not been the best year in terms of growing stuff though. So many pests eating everything. I m usually over run with courgettes but snails keep eating 2/3 of the plants, the green courgettes mostly.
My original squash got eaten so I grew some more but a bit late so I may not get any to grow before it gets too cold. Have kept some in the greenhouse though to see if that helps.
Also have a few peppers growing :wide smile: never successfully grown them before.
We've had some potatoes, carrots, lettuce. Only a handful planted due to space. Carrots just for fun really. The cabbages and cauli been nibbled even with the nets :( but might get 1 to survive enough to eat.
Oh and the onions are nearly ready. Plums are in full swing but we do still get the grubs on one tree. The other tree also seems to have a damson on the front of it. I think the damson was planted on wild plum stock and both have been allowed to grow by accident. So I'd like to make jam/ jelly just need to buy the sugar. We have a few apples on some sorry looking fallen down small trees that hadn't been staked up by previous owner. Need sorting out. a few children visiting and my little people decided to pick a few 'helping' a couple of weeks ago :( think it may have helped thin them.
Oh and some grapes on the vine, but will they ever ripen?!
I have some broccoli and cauli in greenhouse getting ready to plant out when onions finished.
Wow that's a long list of things! Oops!

My cucumbers havent' grown at all, I don't think I gave them enough water. We have had a lot of lettuce too - sadly I left many of them go to seed, I'm not a huge lettuce eater and I did too many in each lot. Radishes were quite good (might try to get another lot in actually) and I need to pick the carrots I think - there are only about 4 of them :giggle: One plum tree has been a flop but the mirabelles were amazing, we have a crowed out apple tree which J said has 4 apples on it - need to get it sorted before next year. We also have a few peach trees in various stages of life that have a few fruit each!
I have some broccoli and cauli in greenhouse getting ready to plant out when onions finished.

I have the space where I have pulled out my onions and shallots / peas sat empty for weeks which is so silly. I must get some broccoli etc in. What else are you doing as succession crops?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:33 am

I m only doing broccoli and cauliflowers. I didnt manage to plant anything else :(
I have quite a few of them though :shock: so I could just fill two raised beds.
I did a mixture of sprouting and normal broccoli but now can't rem which is which as I couldn't find my label things oops!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:42 am

How far apart are you doing them?he ones I've pulled up seem so far apart :roll:

Previous

Return to The Veggie Patch