The Veg patch 2017

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

The Veg patch 2017

Postby confusinglady » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 pm

I think I need to start my thread :wide smile:

Last edited by confusinglady on Fri May 05, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: The Veg patch 2017

Postby confusinglady » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:53 pm

Okay so my plans this year, my third year of planting was to try to make the most of the size of veg patch I have and do some more successional planting. I tried last year but want to improve. However, I was then offered more hours at work so I ve been madly trying to get things planted so that I won't have lots to do after Easter and can reap the rewards in the summer. Also DH has been busy so me in charge of the kids most of the time meaning not much time.

My first job in Feb was to tidy up the patch.

I found that if I hacked a big scrub back I had loads more space and also found a million snails hiding under there!

So this was my photo last week:

I planted purple sprouting broccoli at the end of last summer and they are producing some heads. Have chopped the centre clusters from 2 to eat tomorrow :widesmile: . Ignore the random red thing...
The cabbage right at the back never did anything last year and it's now going to seed so will feed to the Guinea pigs. I've planted peas and made a pea thingy.
Also planted:
1 row spinach
1 row little gem lettuce
Beetroot
Leeks
Onions

Greenhouse:
Sprouting broccoli
Tomato
Cucumber
Squash
Marigolds
Melon ( give it a go! )
Yellow pepper

Trying to stagger my sowing to have them ready at different times.

Spinach and little gem starting to appear :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Looking fab Nicola! Did you make the teepee yourself? @confusinglady

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:34 pm

clothmama wrote:Looking fab Nicola! Did you make the teepee yourself? @confusinglady

Yes @clothmama. My first try at doing anything other than a runner bean structure with proper bean poles. This was made with some plants I pruned in the garden :thumbsup: . It's being held together by a child's plastic fork/ rake thing :giggle: !
I've planted some peas on one side and will try to stagger some more peas in a few weeks to extend the picking season. Will see if it works! First time growing peas too, my dad used to but I don't actually like peas :shock: . The kids do though so I thought they'd enjoy picking them fresh as I used to ( even though I hated the taste it was so much fun!)

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Looks good! What have you used to cover your beds? Need to do something similar to stop the chickens/cats digging in the veg beds.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:59 pm

autumnalgirl wrote:Looks good! What have you used to cover your beds? Need to do something similar to stop the chickens/cats digging in the veg beds.

They are net tunnels. I got some from Aldi last year and then the white one is a net fleece type thing, I got for Christmas from my MIL .... Not sure where they are from.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:21 am

confusinglady wrote:Yes @clothmama. My first try at doing anything other than a runner bean structure with proper bean poles. This was made with some plants I pruned in the garden :thumbsup: . It's being held together by a child's plastic fork/ rake thing :giggle: !
I've planted some peas on one side and will try to stagger some more peas in a few weeks to extend the picking season. Will see if it works! First time growing peas too, my dad used to but I don't actually like peas :shock: . The kids do though so I thought they'd enjoy picking them fresh as I used to ( even though I hated the taste it was so much fun!)

I need to get more peas in actually and sort out a structure as they are already a couple of inches high! It is really, really nice, did you just make it up or use a pattern? I think I can see one in my future with my hazel cuttings! You are righ tabout kids and peas - Remy just adored them last year!

I really need to get bean structures sorted too - how did you do yours @confusinglady ? I've only grown bush beans so a whole new set of learning!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:06 am

@clothmama I found a video of a lady making one on YouTube, then blagged it from there. My cuttings of dogwood were shorter so it doesn't look as pretty as her end result but it seems to stand up and hopefully will hold the peas up!
Bean wise for runners I did it the way my dad used to. I think it's called a ridge support. Bean poles in a row with a pole tied on top. Pinch the tips out when they get up to the top of the support.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:00 am

April photo!

It might not look much different but I be tidied up loads round the trees and shrubs. Also you can't see it from this pic but I ve put a liner down and wood hip between the raised beds.

Peas appearing and leeks, spinach, onions, beetroot and little gem lettuce. Just hope the weather spent turn and kill everything!
Oh and I realised that is forgotten that I planted some nasturtiums next to the onions on the edge and I weeded some of them out! :doh:
I did replant one in a pot so that might be rescued!

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch