Planting beans?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Planting beans?

Postby clothmama » Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 am

I'm getting myself in a pickle - I was going to run 2 rows of scarlet runner beans and 2 rows of green beans parallel to each other each with a triangular support thing (so 4 rows and 2 separate supports) BUT my beds are only 120 wide and it says I need at least 35 cm between rows and I'd have to be able to get down the centre in order to pick them I'm guessing so I'm thinking that wont work but I don't know what to do if I can't do that as the only other option is to only do 2 rows with one support but that won't get me many beans! I'm not sure if I'm overlooking an obvious plan and I can't find any ideas online. Can anyone help me (I think I'm getting stressed about getting everything in :eek: so my brain isn't working very well!). @confusinglady oh bean guru - help!!!!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Planting beans?

Postby confusinglady » Tue May 16, 2017 10:01 pm

@clothmama can you access the 120cm bed from both sides? If so I would continue with the 2 rows. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the 35cm exactly correct at the base between the two rows in the middle as remember when they start climbing they ll grow away from each other.
If you can access either side of the bed you will be able to reach your arm through from one side to the middle bit, maybe leave a small gap to send a small Remy sized child in :giggle:
Again remember they will be growing in a triangle and growing towards your arm as they grow up iykwim. Seriously the beans will hide whatever anyway :giggle:
It might be that the ones in the centre rows will get less light and not produce as much but I d just give it a go and see. Maybe plant in succession with the middle two rows first and give them a head start so that they get the light? Then plant the outer rows 1-2 weeks later? Could give you a longer, staggered run of beans too.
I m kind of trying to do that on my little bit.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed May 17, 2017 6:18 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: thank you! I also realised that my maths was out - 35 + 35 = 70 so actually there is 50 cm left over :doh: which means even if I leave 10cm each edge I still have a 30 'path' down the centre, just not sure how to deal with that as I'm not supposed to walk on my beds as I'm doing the no dig thing. I might try to find some planks or something to go down. I should be able to reach most of them without the path anyway - it is the long side of an 'E' so only where the horizontals meet it will be tricky but probably doable. Do you plant yours 15cm apart @confusinglady ?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed May 17, 2017 6:28 am

@clothmama - honestly I haven't measured, I just plonked the bean pole in wherever looked right :giggle: The poles are probably more spaced out than that , maybe I need to add more verticals and plant more beans. I only have 2 planted out at mo but I planted lots in greenhouse to plant out soon, but they've not appeared yet :(
My beans did so well last year I m relying on them doing the same this year!

Return to The Veggie Patch