2018 veggie patch!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

2018 veggie patch!

Postby clothmama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:53 pm

I was thinking I felt mad starting this thread but saw that of course Sara is ahead of me :hohoho: :hohoho: @littlesez

Very pleased today I have planted the first area up with onions and bought 2 varieties of garlic to put in as well so must do that before I fly next weekend. Leeks went in the other week which I'll still be harvesting early in the year too :).
I've started committing things to the planner, long way to go! I'm sure I won't get most of the stuff on there until the depths of winter!:
https://www.growveg.com/garden-plans/871052/

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: 2018 veggie patch!

Postby littlesez » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:15 pm

I'm gonna be doing all the prep now for spring. All the boring stuff like digging, weeding and such. Good job kids are green fingered coz it's a big job :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:47 pm

littlesez wrote:I'm gonna be doing all the prep now for spring. All the boring stuff like digging, weeding and such. Good job kids are green fingered coz it's a big job :hohoho:

Mine are either too old (won't help) or too young (OMG he pulled up half my newly planted leeks this week and told me he was 'weeding' :x :x :hohoho: ) so enjoy it @littlesez and yes prep work is all now!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Leeks in - I quite like the structural look of leeks! They have actually grown pretty well in the 10 days or so since I planted them!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 pm

Early October:
  • 72 leeks

14 October:
  • 60 Germidour pink soft neck garlic

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:53 pm

Early October:
  • 72 leeks

14 October:
  • 60 Germidour pink soft neck garlic

Mid October ? :lookround:
  • Onions (but can't remember which sort it was now though!)
  • 2 varieties of winter lettuce (can't remember what they were now) but they weren't ready for Christmas as I thought they would be. The same thing happened the first year and they came good in early spring so not worried!

Early / mid January 2018 Again no date - should have recorded straight away!
  • Around 50 (had to chuck some so didn't count them properly) Thermidor (? - need to check the variety) garlics planted - not sure how they will go as they had been split probably at least 6 weeks if not 2 months earlier before I went to Oz and I just couldn't get them in before I went

There is no way that there are 72 leeks hanging around the garden - I wonder what on earth could have happened to them while I was away in Australia - I know Remy got to some of them before I left but I don't think there is many more than 20 out there - how do you 'loose' 50 leeks :lookround: :giggle: ?????

Plan to get a load of my seeds 'winter sown' in the mini milkbottle greenhouses as they have worked really well both previous years - I just need to get better at planting them on once they have grown a bit!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:02 pm

Working a bit harder on the plan now as well as I need to know what is going where sooner rather than later as I don't want to suddenly have seedlings need to go in and be panicing about where to put them! You'll see there is stuff a bit everywhere as I play with it and move it around - I'll get there eventually!

https://www.growveg.com/garden-plans/871052/

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:24 pm

So pretty! I love garden diagrams :widesmile:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 am

I just counted and there is about 30 leeks - and some seem to be in a totally different area of the garden to where I planted them (unless they are onions or garlics that got missed??). So weird!

I have a question, there are quite a few garlic bulbs that I obviously missed harvesting which are now shooting but of course each clove of the bulb should turn into a bulb but they are all together still as full cloves. should I dig them up, separate and replant them??? @confusinglady

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch