hf1

The veggie patch 2018

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

The veggie patch 2018

Postby confusinglady » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:11 am

The plans are in progress with our veg patch. The kids have put in their requests for growing this year. I feel a bit behind already but I ve managed to clear the greenhouse and get ready for planting. I m glad that I didn't plant already with the temperature so low for this time of the year.
On 1st of Match for St Davids day I pushed about 20cm of snow off the leeks and dug up some for lunch.
Image Yum!

Today they are buried again!

My broccoli was just starting to form heads. I m worried that this prolonged snow is going to kill them :( they look all wilty :(

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: The veggie patch 2018

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:35 am

It looks sooooo pretty :love: but yes I'd be worried too but you know how amazing plants are at popping back from the brink so I wouldn't write them off yet (as I did with some broccoli plants at the end of summer - the ones that missed my pulling up are now producing purple sprouting broccolli!). For some weird reason my leeks grew really well the first couple of weeks they went in and havent' since they are only about 20cm high. Not sure what I've done there!

So what are you growing this year :nosey: ?? @confusinglady

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:41 am

Leeks look good. I've only planted potatoes and onions so far and they hadn't started doing anything obvious before the snow arrived!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:07 am

autumnalgirl wrote:Leeks look good. I've only planted potatoes and onions so far and they hadn't started doing anything obvious before the snow arrived!

The leeks were planted from seed on 12th March last year- so have been in a whole year. The broccoli was planted from seed in the greenhouse on 22nd March last year. I've learnt from experience @clothmama that if they don't produce by the end of the summer leave them in ( if you have space) over winter and they may produce early spring. Although will they now be upset by the sudden cold? :(

The plan is to grow much the same as last year:
Greenhouse:
Cherry tomatoes
Yellow tomatoes
Cucumber
Aubergine
Yellow pepper
With the addition of larger tomatoes and will buy some more mini munch cucumber seeds as they were tastier cucumbers.

Outside:
Carrots - but plant more as kids loved them ( I know I can buy cheap carrots but the kids preferred the home grown)
Onions - they failed last year :(
Spinach
Little gem lettuce
Corgette
Peas
Runner beans
Patty pan squash
Butternut squash
Potatoes in a bag

Squash and courgette didn't do that well last year- I wonder if they ll be better in the raised bed - they have only succeeded in there. The slugs eat everything- that might be one good thing about this cold snap!

I had planted cucumber and tomato seeds in the greenhouse on 24th Feb last year.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 pm

A bit behind still in the veg patch. None of my tomato seeds have survived the changing weather and me not checking them for a few days :(
My friend kindly donated some spare plants for me :)
MIL appeared with French beans the other day :)
I ended up going to the garden centre to buy some pepper and a few cucumber plants.
Here's my little outside veg patch looking kind of tidy yesterday:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:46 am

Wow that is so tidy! Can you come and help me - mine looks like a bindweed bomb has hit with all the rain of the last week or so!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:57 am

clothmama wrote:Wow that is so tidy! Can you come and help me - mine looks like a bindweed bomb has hit with all the rain of the last week or so!

It looks tidy but Ive hardly got anything in there :(
The far side looks messier where I need to clear to get my beans in. Also mine is a tiny little patch!

Return to The Veggie Patch