Postby ladybird » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:07 am

We've had great seedlings from http://www.rocketgardens.co.uk

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Do you grow your own?

Postby northernruth » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:14 am

I tend to avoid anything that attracts pests as you can end up with allyour stuff nibbled - so we have had cabbages/ caulis/ broccoli all decimated by the bugs!!!!!

Kids love stuff you can pick, so whilst I agree on the bean front (you don't really get enough to make it worth your while), they are really easy to grow from seed so not pricy, if you get runner beans they have lovely flowers and the kids love picking them, if she doesn't like beans then peas might be an alternative - I tend to avoid peas as they are cheap to buy and a pain to pod but kids love them.

Courgettes work well here too, and we have had great results with raspeberries in the past (we had an ocean of canes inthe middle of our very large garden, a mad gardener we had took them all out cos she said they were diseased, but they were great fun.) Again, not a huge amount off each cane so not so good if you've not the space.

Tomatoes are great but a hot spot is necessary and here I would get seedlings unless you can start them off now indoors - depends where you live but ours rarely ripen properly until really late int he year.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:06 am

We have a greenhouse that the previous owners placed on a big cement slab, so i only grow from pots in it... and then put other pots outside. I also use grobags a lot.

I've previously grown
aubergines
peppers
courgettes
cucumber
tomatoes
strawberries
carrots - did these in the ground and they failed
beetroot - did these in the ground and the wood pigeons that live at the end of the garden ate all the shoots before they could grow :x
potatoes - did in old garbage cans and didn't come out the best
spinach - 3 years in a row, each time completely infested and ended up chucking the whole lot. never again.

i think the top few of those all need warm conditions, so depending on how far north you are might not be an option.

My avatar
MumOf1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby MumOf1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:41 am

I used marshalls seeds to order my potato sacks and seed potatoes last year. They have really good prices compared to a lot of other companies and they give you a free planting dial thing. It has all the vegetables on the dial and you turn it to the veg you're interested in and it tell you when to plant under cover or into the ground and when to harvest.

I had big plans last year but only got round to planting carrots and potatoes so will hopefully be more organised this year and get more variety on the go. I have to container plant too as the garden is slabbed and chipped except for two thin borders.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 am

We did strawberries last year in a big tub and they came out great. This year we hope to get a patch of garden sorted and grow carrots, potatoes (prob in tubs), leek and will have a bash at brocolli. These are the things we use the most of.

I am a total novice to it all though and dont have a clue when to plant anything!

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:06 pm

we grew a few things last year, broad beans, peas, runnerbeans, beatroot, potatoes, onions, carrots didnt grow sadly :( strawberries.
but weve just organised to do that land share organisation! ive used the APP on my phone, we have plenty of land just not the time to sort it! so weve got a couple with 2 children coming from down the road to use it for veggies etc and we get a cut from what they produce :) cant wait till they start!

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:34 pm

I would recommend cut and come again type salads, they are fast growing and you get tasty results, they can be grown in trays too. I would also say try to get what are called exhibitor bags for your spuds, or line 3 old tyres piled up with an old compost bag and the spuds will grow well in there. I had a tyre garden in my flat as a student and had fab results, unlike now when I grow in the ground and get blight every year! :evil:

Blueberry bushes are good, if a little pricey but you can get bargains mail order sometimes. Radishes are good in pots as are any round carrots and baby beetroot are soooooooooooo yummy.

Hawkins bazzar had a good growing wheel type thingy for sale a while back, it might be worth having a look, it gives loads of info on loads of crops and is a handy wheel too.
HTH good luck xx

My avatar
babylovesdisco
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby babylovesdisco » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:40 pm

we have been growing lots of bits & bobs over the past 4 years or so, mainly in tubs but some trees/ bushes. our approach has just been trial & error as it seems very dependent on soil, climate & time you can spare to tend to things...
we have tried (with consistent success :wine: )...
potatoes
rocket
spinach (non bolting variety)
courgettes
strawberries
red& blackcurrants
apples
chard
blackberries & raspberries
leeks
garlic
chives & other herbs

we have also tried (& failed miserably)...
carrots
brocolli
tomatoes (too cold up here without a greenhouse & our garden is a bit shady)
peas/beans

might be an idea to contact your local allotment/ garden centre to ask what they would suggest for your local soil type, space available & budget...it needn't be expensive as some of the things we have picked up as a cheap impulse buys have turned out well!

good luck!
alison :wink:

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby keljbj » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:51 pm

We grew some bits in containers for the first time last year :D We did cherry tomatoes and strawberries in hanging baskets, which went reallt well (tomatoes especially we had loads of). We grew potatoes in pots, and again had a bumper crop. We grew container carrots and spring onions too :D We did try cucumbers in a grow bag, but they didn't do so well and ended up dying :( Keane was very disappointed by that one as he absolutely loves cucumber!!!

This year i intend to do the same again, plus a few other bits. I'm thinking of getting some raspberry canes as my niece had 3 pots last year and got LOADS off them :D I'd love to grow lettuce etc as all the kids love salad, but they just get munched and i don't want to go the pesticides route.

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Patch