hf1

Patio blueberries?

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Patio blueberries?

Postby keljbj » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:34 pm

I've been looking through a catalogue that my brother gave me, and they do a patio blueberry bush. I thought i might get a couple as Indiana loves blueberries :giggle:

Does anyone else grow them in containers? If so, do they fruit the first year, or do you have to wait a few years to see any produce? Is there more than one variety that can be grown this way?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Patio blueberries?

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:40 pm

:wave: we have one that we got in the summer also due to the blueberry love that Gracie has :giggle: They grow really well in pots apparently and also 2 different breeds or what ever it is called will do great together xx

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Kirstyh wrote: They grow really well in pots apparently and also 2 different breeds or what ever it is called will do great together xx

WSS. Apparently, they grow best in slightly acidic soil so depending on the type of soil you have, they might do better in pots. I've been researching it a bit too as I want to get a couple of plants and the best time to plant them is in the Autumn/Winter. I think they can take a few years to fruit but if you buy a plant that is established, it should fruit sooner.

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby keljbj » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Thanks ladies :D Think i'll go ahead and get some, it'll be Indi's idea of heaven to be able to eventually go out and help herself :giggle:

My avatar
James_mummy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby James_mummy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:21 pm

I bought some last year for the same reason my DS loved them and they are soooo expensive.. Last year they were rubbish, this year there was loads on there.. Looked one morning and they were all shrivelled up. Think I didnt water them enough :( booo Ill try harder next year.

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:49 pm

we have them growing in a big barrell this year, and they are growing so well! we palnted them afew months ago.
defiantly worth ago :)

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:20 pm

We have 3 in big pots out on the decking, they need acidic soil and lots of sun and they will thrive :D also if you have hard water you need to supplement with as much rain water as you can :wink:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 pm

We have two blueberry bushes in pots - tbh, they're not exactly bushes yet, they're just twigs with wee buds :lol: I didn't know they were supposed to be planted in Autumn, they need to rack up lots of "cold hours" to produce a good harvest, but even if you plant them now they'll still produce fruit next year. As others said, two different bushes will give a higher yield on each. We forgot about the acidic soil, I've put citrus peels on the soil and add a splash of vinegar when watering, but I'll probably have to re-pot it.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:12 pm

ooo these sound like a fun idea!

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch