My Veg patch

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

My Veg patch

Postby Little Pants » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:39 am

My veg patch is looking at it's best - everything in, and not a caterpillar in site yet! :giggle:

So I thought I'd take some photos and here they are.

http://www.littlepants.co.uk/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=499

I've shown you mine, so show me yours! :hohoho:

My avatar
Cj2011
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: My Veg patch

Postby Cj2011 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Mine is tiny in comparison :oops:
This is my first year attempting to grow anything so I'm quite proud of it :giggle:
I've got onions, red onions, spring onions, garlic, carrots, parsnips, turnips, peas, potatoes and rhubarb outside, oh and sunflowers :D
and in the greenhouse I have tomatoes, strawberries, sweet peppers, chilli peppers, lettuce, herbs and kiwis, melons, watermelons and pumpkins that DS planted.

Before I planted anything

and now

the greenhouse

And my strawberries nearly ready to pick :D

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Wow! They look really lush - fantastic if you've never done it before - Well done. I reckon you've been hugging them :cnthug:

Are you eating anything yet? We've had loads of rhubarb already, just starting to eat the lettuce, just finished last year's spinach, as this years is ready to start cutting - ditto with parsley, which I've just frozen the last of. Peas and broad beans flowering, so should be eating them soon. The overwintered onions are ready to lift and ripen. .

Oh, and I made a load of mint sauce yesterday, which will keep for a year. I just liquidise the leaves in a tiny bit of vinegar, and keep the resulting puree in the fridge, to mix with more vinegar and a bit of sugar as we need it. It's absolutely delicious.

We're on our third year of veges in this plot, as when we moved the land was completely wild, overgrown, and covered in derelict buildings, asphalt and concrete. It took a lot of hard work to clear it, and build the raised beds, but it's been worth it's weight in gold the last 3 years. I don't think there's ever been a time when there was nothing at all to pick, except when the sheep got into the garden the winter before last, and devoured all our sprouts, broccolli and kale!

Keep going with yours - I bet you'll have found somewhere to add something before the summer's out! :giggle:

My avatar
Cj2011
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Cj2011 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Havent eaten anything yet but I think the lettuce should be ready to eat soon and the herbs. Your mint sauce sounds lovely, I'm going to try that as I have loads of mint. What do you do with your herbs that you dont eat IYKWIM, can I dry them or freeze them as they grow a lot faster than I eat them? Potatoes are starting to flower so we should have them in a couple of weeks. We had really strong winds last week and I though it damaged them but they seem to have recovered thank god.I was a bit late planting the onions so they should be ready at the end of the month, though I'm tempted to have a lickle peek and see how they're coming on.
I thought I'd have the onions and carrots out in time to plant out the pumpkins but they grew so quickly so I've asked DP to make me another raised bed to plant them out in :D
I find it so exciting seeing things start to grow (I know, I need to get out more lol).
You have done great work transforming your plot :wine:

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:29 pm

I've already put mine somewhere.. but mines here .... http://www.littlegumnut.co.uk/blog/?p=101 Work in progress.. first year of having a 18m by 8m allotment!
Next weekend we are putting the poly tunnel up which I cant wait, as I've got 35 tom plants to plant out.. as I keep potting them on but they really need to get into the ground now! So far we have put ten raised beds in with shallots and onions, leaks, cauliflowers, purple sprouting broc, broc, chinese cabbage, summer cabbages and winter cabbages, 40 sweetcorn plants of two varieties planted three weeks apart, peas galore, broad beans, runner beans, 8 varieties of courgettes.. gherkins melons and cucumbers, banana peppers, globe artichokes, 25 aspargus plants, green and purple, 3 varieties of aubergines, rhubarb, erm, blueberries, gooseberries, raspberries, red currants, black currants, white currants, spinach, we just planted out 70 ever bearing strawberries, even though the last plot holder left us 50 which already given us 5 lbs of fruit for jam :) It's go go go !!!! Other than the allotment we have a few raised beds at home, which are only used for a few lettuces and small stuff like raddish and spring onions.

Today, I'm thanking the skies for the rain ;)

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:16 am

That looks fantastic! I'll have to get some photos of mine up.

Return to The Veggie Patch