hf1

Is it too late for more potatos?

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Is it too late for more potatos?

Postby Asta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:59 am

Our potatos are nearly ready to dig up, I was just wondering if we'd be able to squeeze in another crop before the first frost. Has anyone planted potatos in summer?

My avatar
ruth+daisy+poppy
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Is it too late for more potatos?

Postby ruth+daisy+poppy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 am

We've just dug ours up and are going to try and squeeze in another crop this year (not tried it before!) Putting them in this weekend and if we get early frost we'll just wrap them in fleece blankets.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:58 am

we grow ours in stacked tyres so they'll be fairly well protected, we could put cardboard on the soil when it gets later I guess.

Do you know anywhere I could get a small number of seed potatos? I only really need 6 so I'm loath to buy a big bag! (I pinched some from my sister last time).

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:01 am

Save a couple of the potatoes you dug up (best if you were growing earlies) and chit them on a windowsill for a couple of weeks, then plant them again. They can be left growing (protected from frost as much as you can) until Christmas so you can have fresh new potatoes for the dinner!

There was an article in a magazine recently about replanting the actual potato plants in pots once you have harvested the potatoes. Just be gentle with the plants, disturb the roots as little as you can (they will be quite disturbed anyway but they should recover), put back in the pot with plenty of soil and water well, feed regularly and the plants should pick up within a week or two and you should get a small harvest in about 12 weeks time. Sounds like free food to me!

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:08 am

Ooo that's interesting Gayle! I could try both methods although we stack tyres to grow them in so would need to start with less soil if I sowed another potato.

Return to The Veggie Patch