hf1

Over winter crops

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Over winter crops

Postby Asta » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:32 am

Just wondering what everyone is putting in over winter? I'm going to dig in some manure and cover my beds this weekend but was wondering what I could do to give some home grown next year since I'm likely to be busy in the spring!

I have some onions to go in and I'll get some garlic. Is there any other winter crops I could put in now?

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Over winter crops

Postby ems » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:57 am

You can grow lots of veggies through the winter You can grow winter lettuces/endives, pak choi, cabbage for spring, kohlrabi, radishes, spring onions, broad beans. You might be getting a bit late for some if they are not grown under cover, as they really need to get their roots down before it gets too cold. November is the month to put fruit trees in though ;) we are just picking out an apple, pear, plum and fig tree :)

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:26 pm

where are you getting your fruit trees? An pear tree would be great in the corner of our patch!

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:55 pm

You can do broad beans over winter. Aquadulce I think is the right variety.

My avatar
Borboleta
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Borboleta » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm growing some leeks. I'm afraid the rest of my veg patch really needs sorting out as it's just growing weeds.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:56 pm

I've got some leeks ready for harvesting and more ready to put in for over winter. I've got purple sprouting broccoli and cauliflower romanesco, which I'm hoping have survived the munching they got recently and will produce soemthing edible in the spring. You might be able to get soem Khol rabi planted now, although you'll need to use cloches outside.

Return to The Veggie Patch