Wow! Cleaned my filters (Dyson)

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Wow! Cleaned my filters (Dyson)

Postby Little Pants » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:55 am

My Dyson wasn't sucking that well, and I decided to investigate. There's a little blue button on the front, which says "Filter" So I pressed it to investigate. (Never done it before :oops: ) Anyway, I popped the thing out and it was absolutely FILTHY!!! Around the edge, it said that they should be washed every 3-6 months :doh: Anyway, I washed it in some well diluted Ecover multi surface cleaner, until no more muck came out, rinsed and dried it, put it back in this morning (It took a couple of days on the boiler to dry) and it seems like I have a new machine!! It's sucking so hard again it's an effort to push it over the carpet! Brill! If you've got a Dyson, and have not done this, do it now! (Well you probably know this anyway, and do it regularly 0 it's probably just me!)

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Wow! Cleaned my filters (Dyson)

Postby Twinkletoes » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:57 am

When I got my dyson 4 years ago, I read the instructions and promised myself faithfully that I would do this as recommended. Never done it once. Oops! But you've inspired me! I shall investigate!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 am

lol can't believe you have never done it before! I do mine every couple of months and I hoover every day.
You are only meant to use water though, I got told of when I had my last hoover for using detergant x

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:20 am

Lol, i cleaned mine for the first time in 2yrs recently too - had no idea, pressed the button like you did and was amazed how dirty it was. Then got DH to clean it all out, head, brush etc, like having a new machine :D

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:48 am

:giggle:
it does make such a huge difference and I get great satisfaction watching the muck being washed out :oops:

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Our filter was disgusting when I washed it out a couple of weeks ago...blurgh!

I'd cleaned it out after hoovering up after the building work we had done before xmas and didn't think it'd need doing again for a while...didn't realise how much dust the building work created!

But bless it, my dyson is over 10 years old and on its 2nd motor but still going strong :D

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:21 pm

LynniferT wrote:Our filter was disgusting when I washed it out a couple of weeks ago...blurgh!

I'd cleaned it out after hoovering up after the building work we had done before xmas and didn't think it'd need doing again for a while...didn't realise how much dust the building work created!

But bless it, my dyson is over 10 years old and on its 2nd motor but still going strong :D

Did you know that if something goes wrong and they suspect builders dust Dyson won't cover you :wink: Our painter and decorator told us when I asked if he wanted my hoove rather than go to his van for his x

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:29 pm

I have only done mine once or twice, I'm inspired now, will do itwhen I get home later :-)

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:34 pm

builders killed my dyson, used it without asking and it never sucked the same again. bought a new rollerball one after that for the house and kept the old big one for future building/dirty stuff.

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess