hf1

Toilet and limescale, help me please

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Toilet and limescale, help me please

Postby Hannahboo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:30 pm

How freaky that you have posted this today as I was going to post about this today as ours is getting really bad, although strangely enough only on the upstairs toilet :-? I have tried loads of things but nothing seems to get rid of it completely! Think I will get some Harpic stuff and also try the coke trick too!!

I can't wait to move back up North to a place with softer water it drives me potty after living in soft water areas my whole life until we moved here :giggle:

My avatar
Bee's Knees
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bee's Knees » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:36 pm

That's so funny!! Spring Cleaning mode we're all in maybe?
When are you moving? I'm thinking of moving out in protest of the toilet! :hohoho:

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Bee's Knees wrote:That's so funny!! Spring Cleaning mode we're all in maybe?
When are you moving? I'm thinking of moving out in protest of the toilet! :hohoho:

Yes I am very much in spring cleaning mode!! We probably won't be moving for another year, but I am determined to get back up North :hohoho:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:09 pm

Nikki's hubby here,.. I work as a contract cleaner & occasionally do end of tenancy cleans where the landlord thinks the toilets are beyond saving. There is hope!!

This works in extreme cases, and all other domestic products should be tried first,.. but go to any DIY store and look for grout cleaner/brick cleaner etc that lists hydrochloric acid as the main ingredient. Choose one that is minimum 15% (Higher concentration = more effective but also more dangerous to handle).

First, scrub & flush away any traces of existing cleaner,.. mixing chems can have nasty results, so don't take a chance! Using care, gloves, eye protection etc etc and definitely NOT when the kids are not around, pour a litre or more down the loo & leave until the fizzing stops (10 mins or so normally). Give it a scrub, and if the first hit didn't get 100% of the stains, add another dose.

Now,.. try it -- and when you're amazed by the wonderful results, don't forget to PM my Mrs & remind her how amazing I am. ;)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:37 pm

monsterm wrote:Nikki's hubby here,.. I work as a contract cleaner & occasionally do end of tenancy cleans where the landlord thinks the toilets are beyond saving. There is hope!!

This works in extreme cases, and all other domestic products should be tried first,.. but go to any DIY store and look for grout cleaner/brick cleaner etc that lists hydrochloric acid as the main ingredient. Choose one that is minimum 15% (Higher concentration = more effective but also more dangerous to handle).

First, scrub & flush away any traces of existing cleaner,.. mixing chems can have nasty results, so don't take a chance! Using care, gloves, eye protection etc etc and definitely NOT when the kids are not around, pour a litre or more down the loo & leave until the fizzing stops (10 mins or so normally). Give it a scrub, and if the first hit didn't get 100% of the stains, add another dose.

Now,.. try it -- and when you're amazed by the wonderful results, don't forget to PM my Mrs & remind her how amazing I am. ;)

And that's what happens when you leave CNT open on the laptop :giggle:

My avatar
Bee's Knees
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bee's Knees » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:40 pm

monsterm wrote:Nikki's hubby here,.. I work as a contract cleaner & occasionally do end of tenancy cleans where the landlord thinks the toilets are beyond saving. There is hope!!

Nikki's Hubby,

Are you trying to make all the women drool over your toilet cleaning prowess? ;)

Joking aside, thank you, as this was exactly what I was looking for. I know there must've been something hardcore out there as there's no way these cleaning programs are shifting that with denture tablets. :P Should I do before and after pictures or is that just too sad?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Wow Nikki, how did you ever find a man not just willing to clean but knowledgable too?! @Monsterm

Does he know how to get rid of shower mould and stop it coming back? We have tried all the supermarket stuff but still have probs and end up having to re-silicone the shower about once a year which is a huge pain in the bum.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Miss_Purple wrote:Does he know how to get rid of shower mould and stop it coming back? We have tried all the supermarket stuff but still have probs and end up having to re-silicone the shower about once a year which is a huge pain in the bum.

Danika, is it the silicone that is getting mouldy?

@Bee's Knees

Just wanted to say again, because I don't think dh stressed it enough, brick acid is horrendous stuff. If will strip the skin off your hand, so make sure you use lots of protection.

My avatar
Bee's Knees
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bee's Knees » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 pm

yep, we have it in the States. It's about one of the nastiest chemicals you can buy without a trade license. Thank you for looking after me. :hug:

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Goddess