When do you have time to.

My avatar
Bessandra
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

When do you have time to.

Postby Bessandra » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:02 am

Do any serious cleaning?!

My kitchen needs a good going over, for example, and I wondered when people have the time to do these sorts of mammoth cleaning tasks?
Husband works long hours, I work 3 days and to be honest, my time with Jonah I am 100% with him, and while I wouldn't have it any other way, after a year of 'skimming the surfaces', I really ought to get my marigolds on for some deep cleaning around the place!

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: When do you have time to.

Postby evansmummy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:08 am

Weekends ;) only time I can or a designated evening x

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:21 am

Very rarely :oops:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:42 am

Miss_Purple wrote:Very rarely :oops:

WSS -gets done one weekend we have nothing planned.

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:57 am

It's very rare, but when I do it's normally because something's going on - like this week we were having a pile of furniture removed and new delivered. When that happens I generally have to just bite the bullet and get it done and we have a day from hell (like yesterday) where both kids are bored, being naughty and lots of showing off and shouting goes on. If I can I'll ask if they can go to my MIL's for a few hours, but that's not always possible.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 am

i clean every day when ryan's down for a nap i hoover everyday as DP has lung problems and if i don't he's really bad.

i do deep cleaning when my mum has him for the day when she has all the grandchildern once a month i'm luck that she does that now

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:01 am

I put time aside to do larger jobs, but it has to be in the evening or when I have childcare.
We did a deep clean recently but that is because we sold our house and the new house will be deep cleaned when we move in (although by someone else, I hope)

I'm not sure how I'm going to keep on top of it all when I'm back at work full time after having had this 2nd baby.

I guess if you can start from a clean house and then keep on top of it, it's easier, but it's getting to that point first!

It's important to get your priorities right. Being able to focus 100% on Jonah sounds good :)

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:44 am

Years ago I read about the Flylady approach, and pinched the bits that make sense to me.

One aspect is to do a BIT of a deep clean regularly. So for example a deep clean of the kitchen might take a couple of hours (I have a big kitchen!) but if you break the tasks up it doesn't. It might take an extra 10/15 mins each day, but I find that much easier to accommodate, plus keeps on top of things.

I tend to pick a room a week, and spread the tasks across the week. Best thing is it never gets particularly bad anywhere so there's never a day when I have to devote myself utterly to domesticity.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Deep cleaning is as rare as a pink monkey here. We had mice recently so I had no choice but to pull everything off the counters and give it a good scrub (with bleach!) The under sink cupboard got done then too as it was full of mouse poo :puke: I try to clear out a cupboard and clean it properly, but it only happens if I've got an hour to spare and I'm in the mood. Mostly, a good clean is only done when I'm actually appalled by the amount of dirt or concerned about health (like the dust under the bed...really needs doing now!)

Serious cleaning is quite hard to do with small children around, I just can't get into it, but I'm lucky enough we have a babysitter on Sunday afternoons so I could do it then if I wanted to. ( :hohoho: )

Don't worry about it. Time spent with your childern is so precious, just let the dirt build up for the next 20 years, then knock the house down and start afresh :lol: (or wait until they're old enough to give you an hours peace to clean!)

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess