Getting Organised

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Getting Organised

Postby Tara84 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:38 am

How do you do it?
I feel like I'm constantly fighting a loosing battle with housework :( I hate doing it so put it off and then it mounts up, I'm going back to work part time next Thursday :cry: so I need to get a routine sorted as I'm fed up of the house looking a state.
So I'll be working full days Tuesday and Thursday(out of the house from about 8am until 6:30/7pm) and also a half day on Saturday(out from 8am until 2:30/3pm) Monday mornings I have :bf: group(I'm a peer supporter so need to try and get there most weeks) another :bf: group Wednesday afternoons. DH will have the children on the days I'm working and be around the house on the days I'm off but willl need to dissapear to the office for a good chunk of the day(he's self-employed and works from home)
How do you manage yours? Do you have a set routine and do specific tasks on each day?

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Getting Organised

Postby bekhi1983 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:06 pm

I use to have a routine when it was just me and Aidan in a small house, I split it into rooms/zones (kitchen, front room, bedrooms, bathroom and hall stairs and landing, then the garden) I'd do one area a day whilst he napped, the kitchen and front room were done twice a week the rest once. I had one day a week spare to catch up on laundry and do the ironing.

Then he stopped having a nap and it went to pot, I went to uni, the place turned into a bombsight and now we've moved into a larger house I just give in with any routine, it's a case of just muck in.

Although we do take it in turns to bath and put the kids to bed, so the other washes the pots, wipes the sides and dining table, sweeps/mops the kitchen floor and has a quick Hoover around downstairs. This way from 8 o'clock we can relax.

I try to potter around the rest of the house in the mornings straight after the school run with Callum in tow 'helping' so when he naps I can :knit:

I've also got 2 sets of cleaning stuff, 1 downstairs under the sink the other upstairs in the airing cupboard which makes it a little more convenient to have a quick clean here and there.

I work 2 days a week too, 8 till 8 and it is really starting to grate on me that the house gets left relatively organised and I come home to find a pigsty! It's my sister who looks after them whilst dh is at work too and some days I could happy slap her! She does nothing but the basics for the kids. (she lives with us) :evil:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue May 01, 2012 12:12 pm

I could have written your post!! Im completly unorganised and i dont have to factor in working aswell!! :oops:

I have no routine and its a complete mess...I used to have a fab routine down and im not sure what happened really :-?

Watching for inspiration :dancing:

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Tue May 01, 2012 12:15 pm

Such a good post subject! I need to get organised as well!! I do second having the two sets of cleaning products-i have one downstairs under sink and one in a utility cupboard upstairs. I wish I had a laundry room though in my house-thats the one thing I'd change...
I'm going to try an every other day routine with the hope that oh fills in between :)

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:29 pm

my house is by noooo way perfect,,, but i have a little routine....
all beds stripped washed and re made on a monday. towels on a saturday.
housework wise, in the kitchen when dinner i ready i always take H's out first.. to cool, so whilst hers is cooling i try to wash up the pots etc that i have used. then dish ours up and eat. then after dinner is only plates to wash up and then i wipe the sides down.
bathrooms normally get done on a tuesday.
hubby is supposed to be in charge of dusting and hoovering... so this gets done when i get fed up with him for not doing it.,. and do it myself!!! :roll:
I am at uni 2/3 days a week, so try to fit it in around those days.....
i still need a better rota though - need to be a bit stricter with myself!!

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:35 pm

I'd love a laundry room, washing being everywhere drives me up the wall :x
Seperate lots of cleaning stuff sounds like a plan, I left glass cleaner and bathroom cleaner in our ensuite from when we cleaned when we moved in and couldn't be bothered to take it back downstairs and I've been doing bits of the ensuite when I get 5 minutes and it doesn't look too bad.

And :evil: to your sister Bek

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Tue May 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Tara84 wrote:I'd love a laundry room, washing being everywhere drives me up the wall :x

Having a utility room in our new house was one of the biggest selling points. I will be putting up one of those ceiling mounted pulley airers and there will also be room for a standing airer too.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby ems101 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:44 pm

oh what id give for a laundry room....

I have no routine, i'd never stick to it and would feel constrained by it. I do thinsg as and when i can be arsed/have time/notice they need doing! Beds are changed 1-1.5 weeks, hoovering 2-3 times a week, washing 1-2 loads most days depending on the weather and time. kitchen as and when it needs it, toilet and skick 1-2 a week, and the rest not often enough!!

I started with meal plans but hated feeling that we had to eat what id planned, and not what i fancied, so gave up on that too. I dont want to make cooking/cleaning too big a part of my life, so it fits around us rather than the other way round. Im sure people who visit think im a slob but there we go!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Tue May 01, 2012 1:53 pm

We ended up with quite a good routine as DH works 6 days a week and I work full time (although I am on maternity leave now). DS is in nursery full time, so we wanted the weekends as free as possible for family time.

When we got in from work / nursery, one person would get DS his dinner whilst the other prepared our dinner.
Then it was getting bags ready for the following day whilst one of us plays with DS or he watches some TV.
When DS went for a bath one of us would be with him and the other would be putting things away, doing whatever chores.
Then we would both come and eat dinner together and have some 'us' time.

The mornings are always ridiculously rushed in our house, so we never really got more done that wash/dress / breakfast and putting a wash load on.

Each day we do the following:
One wash load (morning)
Hang washing up to dry (evening)
Put clean clothes away
Pack bags for nursery / work
Make lunches
Washing up and wiping down the kitchen

Then we do the following each week (not all on the same day, but a couple each day):
Change bedding
Change towels over
Clean bathroom and loo
Vacuum upstairs
Vacuum downstairs
Dust upstairs
Dust downstairs
Empty bins and take recycling out
Meal planning and online shopping (don't go to the supermarket now, as we don't have the time)

You do get used to it after a while and get quicker too.

Things are a lot more relaxed in our house now as I am on maternity leave, so I do all the housework during the day, so DH and I can spend more time with DS and each other. DH does still do things around the house, so doesn't get away with doing nothing!

However, it is all about priorities and what you want to do in your house or think is necessary. There is no right or wrong answer to this, just finding something that works for you.

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess