hf1

Spilt milk help please!

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Spilt milk help please!

Postby Slebro » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 pm

I totally forgot about a little milk carton (the little ones you get in kids lunches) and left it in the change bag for a week or so... me and dh have been searching for whatever it is that smells and he finally found this milk bottle solid as a rock and stinking to high heaven! We've washed the bag out twice and soaked it in milton but it still stinks what else can we try?!!

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Spilt milk help please!

Postby Twinkletoes » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Oh yuk! That sounds grim!

Maybe try skooshing it with a mix of vinegar, bicarb and tea tree, leave for a bit (not too long as it might react, depending on the fabric) then rinsing it and hanging outside for a few days?

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh yuk! That sounds grim!

Maybe try skooshing it with a mix of vinegar, bicarb and tea tree, leave for a bit (not too long as it might react, depending on the fabric) then rinsing it and hanging outside for a few days?

Is it ok to be malt vinegar? we've only got malt in so if it's better with white I'll get some tomo, either way, will def try that, thanks! Am slighly hoping for a big foaming froth a la school chemistry lessons, with bicarb and vinegar :giggle:

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:39 pm

I'd go with white vinegar, but guess it might be ok?

I've only used that mix to deal with mildew, but it worked very effectively. No mad foaming though!

Hope it works, it's really just a guess, based on how I've used the ingredients in the past.

I once bought something inadvertently on eBay from a smoking house, and it stank, even after multiple washings. A couple of weeks flapping around outside in all weathers and it was fine!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Bicarb is great for getting rid of whiffs x

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:16 am

I find washing up liquid great on most things but do a test patch first :thumbsup:

Hope you get rid of it, I cant stand that smell. A child I nannied for burst a carton in my car once, it smelt for weeks :puke:

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:24 am

Right!! Have finally got round to trying the vinegar/bicarb combi (left off the tt oil as the malt vinegar was quite strong...), managed to get a very satisfying foam when I mixed them up and ended up with a paste. Paste has been rubbed into the lining of the bottle holder bit (a shame it's attached to the rest of the bag or the whole palaver wouldn't be so difficult), rinsed and it is now drying. Would love to dry it outside in the sun but liv ein a flat with no drying green so can't :( but there is sun today!!

Thanks for the advice ladies, fingers crossed this'll sort it, with try just bicarb+tt oil next, if it doesn't :thumbsup:

Return to Domestic Goddess