17%

Total votes : 30
My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Online food shopping

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:38 pm

I do ours online 90% of the time, as we live in the sticks and our nearest Tesco is 16 miles away. I do go and do a shop occasionally when I need something else that I can't buy online, but its a chore I really, really dislike and I can't imagine anything worse than 4 children and a Supermarket :oops: Its also cheaper to pay for a slot than it would cost me in petrol to get there, and its definately less expensive as I am an impulse buyer :oops:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Yes, online every time for me. I get a weekly delivery and it saves me so much time. I very occasionally potter round the shop if I'm stuck in a food rut but always without the kids.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:44 pm

we have started to do it all the time now as we were going 4 months with out going so now we do one once a month :yahoo:

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Online every week and have done for years. We use Tesco and I get my shopping delivered on a Weds evening so I have fresh food starting on my days off.

I do a meal plan for the week and shop from that adding in the other stuff we need. I actually find real supermarket shopping such a chore now :oops: I do the actual shop in my lunch hour at work and find it all really convenient.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:12 pm

I have done in the past but i dont at the moment.

When i was heavily pregnant and with S as a baby i used to order it online but tbh, i found it took me as long to order it online as it did to do the actual shop. Plus, i rarely buy the same thing each week other than staples so it was quite time consuming searching everything out.

In addition i find it easier to price compare and spot offers when actually in the store than i do online. Not to mention i can pick the freshest items (from the back/new box) rather than the shelf picker who will get one from the front.

So, tho it has its benefits (no shopping to lug home) i do prefer to shop in person.

I may do a few online shops as i get near the end of the pregnancy and have a newborn again but its not something i like to do long term.

- for the last couple of years i've done the shop on a Friday when Scarlett is at nursery so i dont have to take her with me (or DH, he always pushes the price of my shop up!!) - as i plan to continue being a SAHM i'll just do the shop when she is at School, Sadie wont be any bother.

ETA: I drive and my local supermarket is <10mins away so its quite convenient.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:13 pm

We only do ours online occasionally as dh is in charge of shopping and cooking and he prefers to browse the supermarket, in fact he's just back from the weekly grocery shop now :D

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Online shop every week, used to be from asda but now from occado, Adam pops to sainsburys (5 mins down the road) for milk and bits in between, don't think I need to explain why this is our best option (respiratory arrests at the checkout are somewhat of a hinderance to the weekly shop ;) )

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 pm

I use to but gave in due to short dates and poor quality fresh produce, tried Tesco and Asda as that was all we had at the time.

I now do the bulk of my shopping in Aldi and the local butchers/green grocers. There's a Home Bargains next to the butcher's so I get toiletries/cleaning products etc from there.

Both boys come shopping with me, at the shops I park in a free car park across the road, the Aldi is just down the road from the shops. Including the school run it is a 2 mile round trip. If it wasn't for the amount of food/drinks I'd walk. In Aldi Aidan pushes the big trolley so I can control Callum as he won't sit in the trolley. We have a toy trolley he takes with him and I'll fill it with non breakables.

I just throw all the shopping in the trolley at the till and arrange it in bags at the car once Callum's belted in with his once weekly chocolate buttons. Aidan then takes the trolley back and gets to keep the pound for helping.

Back home I grab the fridge/freezer stuff and the rest lives in the car till dh gets back from work. If I'm working Phil gets to do it :giggle:

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:53 pm

I try to do an online shop once a month for store cupboard items like cleaning stuff, toiletries, paper products, condiments, baking things, pulses etc.

Meat/fish/chicken I buy monthly in person, (fussy!) and freeze it, veg, bread, milk are topped up weekly.

I find this works well for meal planning and budgeting as well as minimising time taken. If I see bargains for store cupboard items when I'm in a supermarket for the weekly top up though, I like to take advantage. Dh has a real bee in his bonnet about running out of things, so we usually have at least one spare of most things in the larder. I find that a bit inefficient in terms of space, but it keeps him from stressing!

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Goddess