17%

Total votes : 30
My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Online food shopping

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:48 pm

I was talking to my mum the other day about food shopping. I plan for the week ahead and we have our food delivered once a week.

I don't drive and DH works 6 days a week, so I'm not really up for doing a big shop with 2 children and bringing it home on the bus or in a taxi.

My mum didn't realise that some delivery slots are so cheap that it's even cheaper than the bus fare.

I do miss doing the big shop in a real supermarket, as I like pottering, but it's so much easier for me this way.

Do you do online shopping and why/why not?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Online food shopping

Postby Louise » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:57 pm

I've not done a weekly food shop instore since before I had K :oops:. No way would I want to take 4 children around the supermarket!

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:00 pm

I voted yes every time,though i have been known to pop into a supermarket very occasionally if i am child free or only have on older one, but yes, my weekly shop is delivered.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:03 pm

We sold our car 3+ yrs ago and although we live next door to a reasonable sized Sainsbury's and a couple of minutes from Morrison's I have been doing the shopping online (with Ocado) for a couple of years now. I did try doing the weekly shop on foot, with a trolley, but it was too much to carry and if I was to go more than once a week I would spend more. I find it cheaper to shop online because I'm not spotting things as I go around the shops, I stick more to what we need and I can see the total adding up. I can walk to the kitchen to check what we need and I can easily add things to my 'trolley' that I know we need week in, week out. We do occasionally go next door for a few bits, but I try not to as I spend too much when I do.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:27 pm

I said Yes every time altho that's not strictly true, all of our big shops are done online which is probably once every two weeks or so. In between we will both pop to the supermarket to get bits, now DH is off with Martha he will go to Waitrose sometimes and I will go to Tesco as it's next to work, or Waitrose on the way home if I need croissants :oops: (our online shop is with Tesco and their croissants are crap).

So mostly online, with the odd trip inbetween, and if we're in Headingley on a weekend we will get all our veg from the greengrocers.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:32 pm

We do occasionally.Dh prefers to go in to do it but it means we do end up spending more!

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 pm

I voted yes every time as I do for my main shop every 3-4wks, but I do go get fresh food top ups when needed! :D

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Its 50/50 here I dont drive so if I know dp is going to be working it's delivered if he's off he goes with the kids and I have a break :wink: :giggle: I'd never go on my own with the 4 children :loopy:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:27 pm

We get a big delivery from our local organic veg shop every week - extra large veg box, standard fruit box and 24 eggs, sometimes we order grocery extras - then either top up with a visit to the co-op or occasionally Sainsbury's or get a home delivery from one of the more ethical supermarkets - usually Waitrose. I prefer online shopping so if the Co-op delivered we'd use them every week.

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess