hf1

Help moths!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Help moths!

Postby monsterm » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Just opened the linen cupboard & been almost attacked by all the moths in there. It is pretty big so there is blankets, linen, towels, cloth nappies & clothes. Never had moths before so don't have a clue what to do. How do I get rid of them?

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Help moths!

Postby eviesmummy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:59 pm

:panic: I don't know but if you have wool put it in a steel box :panic:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:02 pm

eviesmummy wrote::panic: I don't know but if you have wool put it in a steel box :panic:

WSS. TBH you probably need some sort of insecticide spray. I've heard of people putting wool in the freezer to try and kill eggs/larvae etc but other than that no idea.

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Omg I think I would die if I opened my airing cupboard and that happened!! :oops:

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:15 pm

oh yuk! id get a lot of spray and then freeze all i could. its the eggs that do the damage not the moths themselves...

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:28 pm

It's virtually impossible to get rid of them completely once they're established :-( Start by completely clearing the cupboard and dealing with any items obviously affected. A 60deg wash seems to be effective on most things. Then pack everything into vacuum bags with moth killing stuff, spray everywhere etc etc. they are a complete nightmare.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:53 pm

:panic: Have been in there all afternoon. The only item that had moths visibly sitting on it was a wool cardi that I knitted for A. How do you know if something has been affected?

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:34 pm

You will be able to see eggs and little cocoon casings and maybe little caterpillar things and maybe holes :vomit:

If there were that many moths in there then they must have hatched from somewhere. Was there any damage to the cardi?

Moths are the bane of my life. They live in our carpets. If you so much as leave a piece of paper or a sock on the floor they lay eggs on it. I seem to spend my life trying to get rid of them. And dh has a complete vendetta against them and of course it's my fault we have them because I dare to keep wool and knitted items in the house and don't keep it spotless all the time :x

My avatar
NikkiBareham
Clothie
Clothie

Postby NikkiBareham » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:37 am

monsterm wrote:Just opened the linen cupboard & been almost attacked by all the moths in there. It is pretty big so there is blankets, linen, towels, cloth nappies & clothes. Never had moths before so don't have a clue what to do. How do I get rid of them?

Hi there - clothes moths are an on-going problem, and unless you deal with them effectively they will continue to plague you. Here are some tips to help you remove the source of the problem, and prevent further clothing damage:

1) Empty your affected drawers and cupboards and thoroughly vacuum the entire area, making sure you get into all the nooks and crannies, and also vacuum the surrounding carpets and skirting boards in the room to ensure that all the larvae has been removed.

2) Thoroughly clean all the clothing that has been in the affected area.

3) Spray the cupboards, wardrobes and drawers to kill all the eggs and larvae that are present and causing the damage.

4) Use natural or chemical moth repellents and deterrents, depending on your preference. Cedar wood is a popular choice, and a wide range of products such as moth balls are available. Additional storage such as protective bags for expensive garments may also be considered.

5) Install moth traps in the affected areas to monitor the presence of adult moths and to break the breeding cycle. Remember to replace your deterrents on a regular basis, two to four times per year, and this should result in a moth-free environment.

Taking these measures against clothes moths is important as the most expensive items, such as cashmere, are the most vulnerable to moths. A recent feature in early 2012 about Moth Infestations on the BBC's THE ONE SHOW and several related discussions on BBC RADIO 2 over the past year (including Chris Evans worried about his holey jumpers!) highlight just how widespread the problem has become. Good luck and I hope you resolve your problem. :thumbsup:

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess