hf1

Storing Chemicals

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Storing Chemicals

Postby Caroline » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:39 pm

How does everyone keep their cleaning chemicals away from little people? Up until recently we had a stairgate across the kitchen door but that's now gone so the cupboard under the sink has had to be emptied. The shape of that cupboard is making cupboard locks hard to fit and, the cupboard under the stairs is small as most of it has been turned into a WC. So what does everyone else do? Booze is going to be another problem.......

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Storing Chemicals

Postby sophie2198 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:44 pm

I may be the only one but I've never locked stuff away :-? Bathroom cleaning stuff is stored in under sink unit along with everything else is shampoo , soap , toothpaste etc and kitchen cleaning stuff is stored Under sink along with airfreshner , bin bags , carrier bags , polish etc.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:47 pm

sophie2198 wrote:I may be the only one but I've never locked stuff away :-? Bathroom cleaning stuff is stored in under sink unit along with everything else is shampoo , soap , toothpaste etc and kitchen cleaning stuff is stored Under sink along with airfreshner , bin bags , carrier bags , polish etc.

I don't trust Max, he is too inquisitive (and clever!) for his own good......

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:53 pm

we only have one cupboard with a lock - and that's the one with all the chemicals in! I do not trust Hayley... and she is a climber, so putting things high up wouldn't work either.
sorry - that's not much help is it?! xx

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:56 pm

We have a shelf up high in the bathroon for bleach etc and the cupboard under the sink has a lock on it, although Jonah can now undo it :roll: . I'm a bit paranoid about stuff like this, my uncle is a paramedic and has seen some awful things involving children :(

Booze is also in an eye-level cupboard to can't be easily reached.

What type of locks for your cupboard have you tried?

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Mine is all where it has always lived too - i've always just told S what she can/cannot play with and she never had access into the kitchen alone when she was little so even if she had have tried to get into the chemicals cupboard she wouldnt have got very far.

No problems here.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Shaunie wrote:We have a shelf up high in the bathroon for bleach etc and the cupboard under the sink has a lock on it, although Jonah can now undo it :roll: . I'm a bit paranoid about stuff like this, my uncle is a paramedic and has seen some awful things involving children :(

Booze is also in an eye-level cupboard to can't be easily reached.

What type of locks for your cupboard have you tried?

I'm paranoid with Max! India just wouldn't touch it because we'd told her not to but Max is another story (and he has unbelievable dexterity for a kid of his age....)

We have tried the normal inside locks from Mothercare and the ones that you hook on the outside (that work on a ratchet) wouldn't stop him for any length of time. I think I need some kind of lockable box.

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:08 pm

gosh.... Hayley is such a monster in comparison to some of your children :giggle: :giggle:
i left her in our bedroom to walk to the airing cupboard (on the landing) and get out mine and her towels for a shower. I also had to open and close again a stair gate. By the time i had got back into the bedroom she was in our en-suite.. she had climbed up onto the toilet, stood, climbed onto the built in unit, and was getting dan's electric shaver and the bleach bottle off the corner shelf....

as my gran tells me... some children are just naturally more inquisitive.......!!!!!! :roll: :lookround:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Have you tried the magnetic locks?

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess