hf1

Heated Airers v Tumble Dryer

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Heated Airers v Tumble Dryer

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:41 am

My house is coming down with washing - its so damp and miserable outside my tumble dryer is on constantly and my 8 tier airer is constantly full and taking days to dry the clothes.

Wondering if the heated airer would make any difference at all - or should I just bung on another load in the tumble dryer every day instead - its usually on 3 times each day and is costing a small fortune :?

Any opinions? I know lots of you rate the heated airer :)

Sadie xx

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Heated Airers v Tumble Dryer

Postby Louise » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:56 am

Never had a tumble drier but I :love: :love my heated airer. I currently have no washing in the baskets at all :shock: (apart from a few nappies in the bucket and a couple of woolies). Clothes are dry within 12 hours at the most, nappies 24 at the most. It holds about 2 loads of clothes and one load of nappies.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Louise wrote:Never had a tumble drier but I :love: :love my heated airer. I currently have no washing in the baskets at all :shock: (apart from a few nappies in the bucket and a couple of woolies). Clothes are dry within 12 hours at the most, nappies 24 at the most. It holds about 2 loads of clothes and one load of nappies.

But for the cost of buying a new heated airer it might still work out cheaper to use the tumble more this year.

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:14 pm

I have neither but think I may invest in a heated airer at some point soon :thumbsup:

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:42 pm

I was just looking at the heated airers last night.. But caroline is right, by the time i've spent £90 on one i might just use my tumble drier instead! But i really would prefer it as the tumble drier seems to be ageing my nappies!

Xx

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:47 pm

How do the airers work? Are the rails just heated? If so, is it not just the same as putting them on a radiator? (and therefore not great for nappies as it damages the fibres?
Last edited by Mareth on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:53 pm

I bought a heated airer recently as the washing was really piling up ..... I no longer have a washing pile :twisted:

As Louise said 12 hours for clothes up to 24 for nappies but I've also got clothes dry over night and nappies within 13 hours too! I bought the largest one due to amount of people I've collected over the last 5 years :giggle:
I can't believe I waited this long tbh and I dry my woolies on there too :lookround:

Mareth the rails heat up yes but they don't get as hot a radiator can

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:00 pm

We have both & rarely use the airer as it's easier to tumble it. Should use the airer more really.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I don't mind paying the £90 as if it was going to last a fair few years, but I don't want to waste it either if its going to work out the same price as using the tumble dryer - at 5p an hour, 10 hours overnight, that would add £15 a month to my already shocking electric bill :? Hmmmmm, undecided :?

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess