hf1

Heated Airers v Tumble Dryer

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Heated Airers v Tumble Dryer

Postby Miss_Purple » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Frances wrote:We've got a washer dryer and just hang delicates.

I like the idea of a heated airer but surely it can't be good to release litres of water into a bedroom every day - doesn't it cause damp?

No different to using a normal airer or radiators. We keep ours in the dining room and have chimneys in each room as it's an old house, never had a problem yet. Probably good to have a window open if using upstairs though.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Before we got our tumble dryer we had big mould and condensation problems. None now!

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:31 pm

lazylexis wrote:Before we got our tumble dryer we had big mould and condensation problems. None now!

Snap :thumbsup:

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Frances wrote:I like the idea of a heated airer but surely it can't be good to release litres of water into a bedroom every day - doesn't it cause damp?

No it's not good to release that much moisture into the air... & yes it does cause damp, unless you've got a draughty house.

We've got double glazing, cavity wall insulation & masses of loft insulation, so we're a pretty airtight house, meaning that moisture build up just from every day living is bad enough. The north facing wall, particularly in the winter, is really prone to collecting the damp & building up mildew, so we usually have a dehumidifier running for a couple of hours upstairs & downstairs to help combat it, when it's too cold to open the windows. And that's without drying any clothes indoors, apart from in the tumble dryer.

Did anyone else happen to read this article on the BBC's health site?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20176376

Another good reason maybe to choose a tumble dryer (condenser) over a heated airer?

Previous

Return to Domestic Goddess