hf1

Tumble dryers

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Tumble dryers

Postby ems101 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:02 am

Talk to me about makes, usage, pros cons, types...

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Tumble dryers

Postby JabberJabber » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:06 am

Handy to have if you do a lot of washing. Very easy to get into the habit of drying it all straight from the washing machine though.

I think it's @Caroline who always hangs things on an airer for 24 hours first.

We have a condenser one and use the water on the garden. It makes our utility room really cosy too and ace for drying off coats /shoes etc hung up in there if it also happens to be on.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:02 pm

That's right, I don't really use it for drying straight from the washing machine, more for finishing off. I have a condensing AEG Lavamat but it can also be vented outside. Its a big help during the winter to keep the laundry moving.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:55 am

I didn't bother again this year and managed but in Europe / UK wouldn't be without I dont' think! I used mine ot finish off not dry from scratch unless in emergency, made it quite reasonable :D

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 am

I think we'll use it like that. I still try and get things on tge line as nuch as poss., but it would be nice to have tge option of quick drying!

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:31 am

I use mine all the time I'm afraid, couldn't live without it! I hate having wet washing lying around and I do at least one or two washes every day so it just wouldn't get dry otherwise. Before we got it I just couldn't keep on top of the drying at all. I don't tend to use it in Summer unless its an emergency but neeeed it in winter.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:36 am

One thing to look out for when buying one is the energy rating. They are expensive to run, so while some are cheap to buy, they cost loads to run. I went for one that was more expensive but energy efficient.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Ah good tip!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:16 pm

When we were in Aberdeen it was on ALL the time. We lived in an upside down house, so living upstairs/ and as bad as it sounds I coulnd't be bothered to cart all the stuff downstairs and outside to the line.

When we were in Oz we had a line set up under the house in the 'man cave' and used to line dry everything there and just use it in an emergency or to finish stuff.

Here I have a single line outside and do all the nappies etc outside. but everything else goes in. I'd quite like to have a different set up to do more line drying, but here's my naff excuse. Its so hot here and things dry so quickly that unless I set my alarm i'd never remember to bring them in in time to finish in the dryer and I hate crunchy outside line dried feeling. :oops:

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess