Dyson or not Dyson?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Dyson or not Dyson?

Postby clothmama » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:13 pm

I'm yet again in a position that I swore I'd never do again where I only have a big, loud building site type vacuum :x (wet/dry variety) which is great for what we need to do but really horrible to use as a cleaning the house vacuum :doh: ! We also have a little cordless jobby but while it is fine for what I got it for, giving the kitchen floor / after Rémy a quick go over it is quite frankly a bit pants for everything else! So quite frankly I'm not vacuuming as much as I should and I want to change that!

I'm looking at some preloved Dysons (just can't afford 300 quid for a new one!) as I've always liked how they look, they claim they are fab, a lot of people love them and I do like that all the parts are available for repair. I'm looking at the pull along variety - big ball type ones not upright (I hate them and have never understood why they are so popular in the UK, not sure you can even buy an upright in Oz :giggle: ).

Do you have or have you had a Dyson and what do you think?

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Dyson or not Dyson?

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:46 pm

We had an upright Dyson for about 10 years before something happened and it wasn't repairable. We've had a little pull along Dyson since (so about five years). The only niggle I have is that you do need to remember to clean the filters regularly or it doesn't work as well. I often forget and then get cross when it's not cleaning properly. Having said that, with the exception of new filters it works as it does when we got it. My sister swears by Miele but I've never tried one.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:59 pm

I'm a Miele fan :)

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:51 pm

I m a dyson fan but not had much else for the last 15 years so don't even know what's out there. I like an upright though, I don't like the drag around ones

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:54 am

confusinglady wrote:I like an upright though, I don't like the drag around ones

Really - why @confusinglady ?? I'm genuinely curious as I know lots of people like them but I just don't get it :lookround: they are soooo heavy, you can't get into corners or under furniture and doing stairs is like an exercise in contortion :giggle: :giggle: I kind of get back in the old days when it was only them that had the carpet beater spinny things and the pull alongs didn't but now many of them have that too if you have a lot of carpet.

With J's reparation skills I think I will keep looking for a nice but broken one as even a whole new motor is only about 15 quid!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:40 pm

clothmama wrote:
confusinglady wrote:I like an upright though, I don't like the drag around ones

Really - why @confusinglady ?? I'm genuinely curious as I know lots of people like them but I just don't get it :lookround: they are soooo heavy, you can't get into corners or under furniture and doing stairs is like an exercise in contortion :giggle: :giggle: I kind of get back in the old days when it was only them that had the carpet beater spinny things and the pull alongs didn't but now many of them have that too if you have a lot of carpet.

With J's reparation skills I think I will keep looking for a nice but broken one as even a whole new motor is only about 15 quid!

No idea @clothmama :giggle: I just like whizzing around the main bits with an upright, I hate dragging something around behind me. Maybe it's because I m a bit erratic and something following me would eventually trip me up :hohoho:

I get the attachment bit out for corners and I m a dab hand at balancing on the stairs :giggle:

Return to Domestic Goddess