hf1

Washing powder and fabric softener.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Washing powder and fabric softener.

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:21 pm

I use bio (ariel or daz) on all our stuff. DS1 had terrible eczema until I swapped to bio now its gone. I only use a small amount on all the laundry. The small 10 wash box lasts me at least 30 washes. I every now and then take a notion for fabric conditioner. Atm I use comfort the orange one. I dont use it on bedding or towels or nappies though.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:12 pm

I use whatever is on offer! ATM its persil liquid wash stuff, was £6 for 50+ washes (and I don't use the full amount in a load unless clothes are quite dirty), I'm not loyal to any brands. same goes for fabric conditoner and dishwasher tablets.

I've noticed though that my clothes are coming out much stiffer than they used to be, and once-soft and fluffy clothes have very flat fibres now. I'm not sure if thats to do with air-drying indoors in winter compared to outdoors in summer, but when i used my own homemade washing liquid they stayed soft even without fabric conditioner. I may make that again soon, it wasn't great for getting stains out but it didn't seem to damage the clothes as much (as well as costing practically nothing to make :wink: )

I've heard it doesn't really matter what detergent you use in relation to baby clothes etc, some children can have sensitivites to some of the ingredients but as long as the residues are well washed out (and for me this means at least one extra rinse every time) most people wont have problems. White vinegar is good for the rinse instead of fabric conditinoer, it makes clothes softer without the chemical cocktail I imagine there to be in fab conditioner.

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sweetiepups » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:17 pm

I love Bold now for the nappies.
But I find the smell a bit over powering for some things, like our bedclothes.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:49 pm

I'm another one that doesn't have any particular loyalty to any brand - we're currently using up a 10kg box of Fairy I bought in one of Sainsburys 1/2 price deals :roll: - though have to say I do buy Ariel Excel Bio tabs (powder) for our whites as it does get them so much cleaner & brighter.
I've not used softner in a while now, since discovering the Eco Zone Magnoball (http://www.amazon.co.uk/ECOZONE-M807-Ec ... 621&sr=8-7) which actually seems to work at softening the water & therefore our clothes too. Our washing machine is also looking a lot healthier since I stopped using softner, a lot less dunk in the dispensing drawer :D

Dooby x

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:50 pm

I use bold, or surf

Previous

Return to Domestic Goddess