hf1

Help! tell me about using dryers

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Help! tell me about using dryers

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:35 am

i managed to aquire a temporary washer since ours blew up on the weekend :wine: turns out its a washer/dryer. with the backlog of washing i think the dryer may be useful...although i expect it to be completely rubbish.

i've never used a dryer before...so tell me please.... what clothing can go in a dryer? or what can't if that's easier. i don't want to shrink/ruin things :giggle: and what about nappies? anything to avoid there?

and any tips/tricks?

thank you!

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Help! tell me about using dryers

Postby Tara84 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:47 am

washer dryers tend to take ages to dry stuff and aren't as good as a seperate dryer but even if it's not a great one it should help speed things up if you've got a backlog.
You should be able to adjust the heat on it, bamboo needs to go on a low heat or it goes a bit crunchy/rubbery. As for clothes your best checking the label, the tumble dryer sign looks like a square with a circle inside it, if it's crossed out it can't go in, if it's got a dot inside the circle it can go on low heat and if it's just a square with a circle it can go on high heat.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:58 am

Not a fan of washer dryers, they take for ever creating a load of steam.
Things not to put in them, I don't do vests, t-shirts, leggings, basically anything jersey, wool, etc. Nappy wise, no pul but the rest I put in it just has to be on a low heat x

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:11 am

Thank you! shame that most of the backlog is jersey :lol:

i'm a little confused by not putting pul in though ... i thought you were meant to put pul in a dryer to seal it? doesn't matter, the pul wraps dry in no time so there's no need to put them in anyway, just curious on that one.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:31 am

tiyuricc wrote: i'm a little confused by not putting pul in though ... i thought you were meant to put pul in a dryer to seal it? doesn't matter, the pul wraps dry in no time so there's no need to put them in anyway, just curious on that one.

A quick blast in a tumble dryer can re-seal a PUL wrap but prolonged contact with heat isn't good for them.

Return to Domestic Goddess