hf1

Washing gym kit

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Washing gym kit

Postby Caroline » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:02 pm

I have a Dri-Fit top which I've had for about 2 months. Its always washed within a couple of days of being worn but it smells in the armpit, even fresh off the line :-? Its like the smell is ingrained in the fabric. What can I do to get rid of the bad smell?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Washing gym kit

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:12 pm

soda crystals?? x

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:54 pm

bicarb? If it can freshen nappies it can freshen a gym top lol.

for future tho always try and wash it asap after being used as sweat breeds bacteria so you really wanna be washing or at least rinsing it the day you wear it.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:06 pm

I have no idea, but might try some of these suggestions on dh's kick-boxing top which is just disgusting :puke: even though i wash it as soon as he gets home. It's close to being binned :giggle:

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Just thought then, if you dont already then a bio washing powder might work better than non bio.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Yes it's quite important to use bio on gym kit and martial arts uniforms...

If you've got a really bad patch under the arms make a paste from bicarb and water and put it on and leave overnight before washing in a full dose of bio.

DO NOT wash at 60 as this will fix them smells - make sure you always wash them cold which allows the bio properly too...

You can also soak in bio before you wash too :)

I recommend Ariel Bio - the green one :)

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks ladies. It's just this one top (now relegated to 'least favourite' gym top) all the others are fine. I think I'll try the paste and then some bio. Its the only top I have by this make too so I cant see me getting any more!

Return to Domestic Goddess