hf1

What chores does your DP do?

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

What chores does your DP do?

Postby CherryPie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm beginning to feel like since we got married/I went on mat leave my DH has dropped more and more jobs round the house to help me out so now he does barely anything :evil: He never washes up, doesn't ever do the washing (wash, hang out to dry, put away) doesn't vacuum etc etc and very very very occasionally will cook. I was just wondering if everyone elses DP's were equally as rubbish round the house? He does work full time and I'm only part time but offering to wash up or clean occasionally would be lovely :x Any 'training' tips for DP's???

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: What chores does your DP do?

Postby scarlet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 pm

My Dp is fab and very easy going. The way we look at it is my job is looking after Pearl, his is going to work. So the house work is a job that has to get done by both of us.
He doesn't expect me to do it and I don't expect him to do it. Then when someone does do it , we are both really happy and thankful to the other person. Not really a tip but I would just say have a chat to him. Tell him you are shattered and can't face the house work and if he could help out you would be grateful. :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:44 pm

My DH cooks for us most night and clears up afterwards, doesn Sunday dinner every week and clears up, he will do washing if he sees it ready and sitting out, pegs it out (not the way I like though :giggle: ), baths or showers G most nights, does all the "man" stuff about the house and he will iron if I ask.
Jobs I have to ask himto do are clean the bathrooms and hoover but I love hoovering so that doesn't happen often :lol: He is really wonderful in general though x

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Sit him down and make a list - allow for the fact that when you are not at work you are looking after your LO as well. It will only get worse if you don't read him the riot act now. It's entirely up to you how you divide chores in a relationship and if someone wants to be the Housewife while a partner goes out to work then that's up to them, but that doesn't sound like what you have signed up for.

I'm not working at the moment and DH is full time, the MD of a £100m turnover business. When he is in a busy patch I will pick up more of the chores, and on a day to day I do more, but I still expect him to cook from time to time, to wash up when I cook, to empty the dishwasher, and to help out around the house with various things (taking the bin out etc). He mows the lawns and does all his own ironing. Martha is at pre school four mornings a week but allowing for the fact that DH leaves at 8 and is rarely back before half six, my working week is as long as his!

He baths Martha on the nights he makes it back in time and takes turns getting up with her in the mornings, including weekends.

He also does all the shopping online. When I go back to work, we will need to have a chat about the washing.......... :giggle:

Sometimes things get out of whack a bit (like with the cooking, he hasn't really been cooking recently unless its to heat something up out of the freezer) - I then point out to him that's he's taking advantage and he will make more of an effort.

Seriously, these things eat away at a relationship if you have a perceived sense of unjustice. Read The Pile of Stuff at the Bottom of the Stairs, and don't ask me who just emptied the dishwasher in our holiday cottage :x

Oh and failing all else, try to steal Kirsty's DH :wink:

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby 50ftQueenie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 pm

scarlet wrote:My Dp is fab and very easy going. The way we look at it is my job is looking after Pearl, his is going to work. So the house work is a job that has to get done by both of us.

Hmm, that's the theory in our house but it doesn't seem to work like that at the moment. DH has two jobs that are his, dishwasher and bins. This has recently become the bins..... when he remembers. He does occasionally do dinner but most of the time he gets home and does more work. :roll: I think men are like children..... they will push it and push it until you set boundaries. :giggle: :roll:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Just wanted to add, my parents were very old school (got married in the fifties) even tho Mum worked, but my Dad always always washed up after any meal. He also did odd things like clean all the school shoes on a Sunday night etc :wink:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:50 pm

:giggle: Ruth, I am keeping him!
The reason I think he is so good is that he was educated away from home as a boarder and they were pretty strict and he also did national service is SA, it got him into good habits x

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:50 pm

:shock: Omg you're so lucky. I've tried talking to DH but he just complains that he's always too tired. It's really beginning to get me down. Maybe I'm just extra emotional because of :pregnant: . I would just like a little bit of help rather than constantly feeling like i'm tidying up after him. Or even if he appreciated it I'd feel better :roll:

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Well my Mum offered to buy us a dishwasher last year and dh said no as he washes up every day. He actually washes up a couple of days a week. He does take the rubbish out and I am struggling to think of much else.

It is slightly different here as he come homes to either work on Woozlewood or the house, but he is always on the sofa, bathed and relaxed for 8 every night :roll:

I think I could do with taking Ruths advice and kidnapping Kirstys dh :giggle:

xx

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess