hf1

What chores does your DP do?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: What chores does your DP do?

Postby Caroline » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:49 am

We have a cleaner to see to all the weekly chores.. Daily stuff; DH unloads the dishwasher in the morning and loads it after I have cooked in the evening. He will take the bins out if I haven't done it already. I do often get a lie in though :wink:

I'm happy with what we do as he is still recovering from illness so just cant do things like mowing the grass so I do heavy jobs too (which he hates to see but its has to be done). He never, ever complains about the house and would be highly suspicious of it being quiet and clean all the time :hohoho:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 am

Dh's official jobs are dishwasher, bins & garden. He does a good bit more in reality though. If I'm wrecked, he will get the kids up & give them breakfast. He will cook if I need him too. He helps with tiding the house (as long as I don't mind everything being stuffed into random places :roll: ) but doesn't like the cleaning bit. He will fold laundry but won't wash it or hang it out. I would say he does his fair share anyway.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:25 am

My DH does the garden (we have fairly large garden and it needs quite a lot of tending), any DIY that needs doing and car related stuff. He also does the Tesco shop with DD on a Saturday morning so I can have a lie in. He'll happily do washing and cleaning if I ask him to, but it wouldn't occur to him if I didn't ask KWIM?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:24 pm

robs jobs are the dirty ones doing the cat litter and the bins :twisted: ermmm i end up doing them though because he "forgets"

:roll: :roll: :roll:

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:09 pm

reading this thread has made me giggle!!

I have to say, i am pretty lucky with my DH. He does all 'man' jobs - bins, garden, cars etc. Also, 9 times out of 10 he takes over with DD as soon as he gets in, and gets up with her at least once a week. (She likes 5am starts... and DH is currently working two jobs... so once a week is def more than enough for him!) He will often cook, and does most of the washing up.
My main bug bare is that he never actually 'sees' what needs doing. he is more than happy for me to leave him a list to work through... but i still get annoyed and think that he should just see what needs doing!!!
HE has got loads better at tidying away after himself.... as with pregnancy and baby brain i seem to 'forget' where i put his stuff....!!!!!!
As others have said, clothes washing etc is mine - he doesnt hang it right, or mixes colours etc in the wash and gives me a heart attack!!!

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:59 pm

The only jobs he does routinely is put the bins out on a Thursday and even that he doesnt always do :hohoho: and do the cat litters each night.

Thats not to say he does nothing else, but it is very rare and not expected. He cleaned the bathroom (quick once over) last weekend and thats the first time i can remember since we moved in her 2yrs ago. He will fill the dishwasher if he is up early at the weekend or im tending to scarlett at bed time but generally he is always working.

On the flip side tho, he does all 'manly' stuff around the house like fixing things etc - i dont touch any of that and he does all our finances from in comings to out goings (i just spend it :wink: ) PLUS he runs his own business with 60+ employees.

Hes a work-a-holic and very busy, working long hours etc... i am quite happy to run the duster round and clean up etc as im home, its not hard is it. Scarlett doesnt mind helping or i might grab some time whilst she is playing happily.

Saying that, he does to his credit do bath/bed on his own 2 nights a week as im out at the gym and he also has 'daddy & daughter day' on a Sunday where they do their own things together giving me a bit of a break.

On the whole i dont mind so much as im home in the day and i am quite OCD about things and generally do keep on top of it just fine, my house is always clean and tidy so its no big deal to give it a clean and maybe thats why he doesnt do much as theres never much to do :-? I did have a cleaner once a week to take some of the work from me but i sacked her not too long ago and havent got round to replacing her yet.

IF however i went out to work full time then it would be very different and we would need to come to another arrangement as i wouldnt wanna be coming home from working all day to then start doing chores!

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:15 pm

littlesez wrote:Rob does quite a lot. I kicked his ass into shape though it has taken years! :evil:

He washes up about 3 times a week he cooks quite a lot and he tidies up. I do hoovering washign and cleaning though. He irons his own shirt every day (because i don't do ironing!)

MY DH used to iron his own shirt everyday too - but i took that job back because i like to feel like i've done my part in making him look smart for work :giggle:

I think its the 'good wifey' thing in me :oops:

I actually dont mind ironing and would rather get it done on an afternoon when i have time than for him to have to set it all up when the poor lad is up with the sun to go to work.

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:54 pm

I've just read all the replies and realised my DH does hardly any chores compared to most others :shock: :-?

I do all the washing, cleaning, cooking, paying bills, garden stuff, getting kids stuff ready for bed/school etc. The one thing he does do is put the bins out :wine:. And occasionally empties and stacks the dishwasher (which I don't really like him doing because he does it 'wrong'). He virtually never cooks, but then I don't really want fish fingers and chips for my dinner every night (his speciality). But seeing as I'm home all day, and three mornings and one full day without kids I think it's fair. Having said that, when I worked 4 days a week (32 hours) and the kids were at school/nursery I still did 90% of the house stuff.

However, my DH is generally out of the house at work from 7.30 am until after 7pm so doesn't really get a lot of time to contribute to the general running of the house. And he does LOADS of DIY stuff like plumbing, decorating, etc when he does have time - this week he has been up 25ft of scaffolding repainting our fascia boards, so in fairness he does his bit.

If (when) I go back to work, the first thing I will do is get a cleaner - it's only since I've been at home I've realised quite how much time it takes me to keep the house tidy and semi-clean (but I am a control freak about how things are done :oops: ).

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:02 pm

My Dh is away a lot up to 6 months at a time so when he gets home he has a lot of catching up to do with the boys so he will take over the bedtime routine / school run and generally spends lots of time with them apart from that he makes a good cup of tea and he is good at washing the car :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Goddess