How do you store linens?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: How do you store linens?

Postby clothmama » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:54 am

I would love to have ironed linen but I never have time to get it out!! I do love my pillowcases ironed though so try to do that when I can!

I have a linen cupboard. Most Aussie houses are built with them :D In France I used a wardrobe. I couldn't deal with a box though - I like them all to be in their piles - single, queen size, pillow cases etc. Easy to see and get to! When I was a sahm in France I'd also put the newly washed ones on the bottom of the pile. By the time they get back to the top they are pretty much ironed from the weight above :thumbsup:

I always loved the idea I saw on that blonde woman (what is her name :eek: ) show once where you fold the sheets / pillowcases in a neat pile then insert them into the duvet/doona cover so you just end up with 1 neat bundle of matching items easy to take to the bed :thumbsup: excellent idea that I have been meaning to implement for ages - no more looking for the matching pillowcases and not being able to find them :panic: :giggle:

I love linen too :giggle:

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:09 am

We have all the bedlinen for each room stored in an under bed storage box in that room.

I de-cluttered all our linen a while ago so we only have 2 sets for each bed - one on the bed, one in the storage box. I find it much easier to remake when I strip the beds if I don't have to wander off somewhere else to get what I need (so I don't get distracted by something else!)

My avatar
Nimyue
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Nimyue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 am

I love ironed sheets as well, but with 2 kids it's far too much trouble to do regularly. However, when the DH gets home from a deployment/training etc, I like to do it as a welcome home treat.

Ours are in the top section of the coat closet in the entryway. I do have to throw cedar chips in there to keep the moths away. It's always a mess too because I can't actually reach it. I have to stand on a stool or something else equally precarious to get in there. English houses just dont have storage space, and the house is too dang small to add any more furniture to it! The only other thing I can imagine doing is getting slim storage boxes that can slide under the bed. However, it seems most of the beds here are the solid foundations, not like our from the states which has a gap underneath.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:08 am

That's the thing with a blanket box type thing, I know I would want what was at the bottom so end up pulling everything out.

Those that store in the bathroom, how do you stop condensation getting in there?

I don't iron my linen. I have a superking size bed and cotton sheets/covers that are 800 thread count. It would take me a week to get all the creases out. It is IMPOSSIBLE to iron.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:19 am

In a drawer! I iron all the linen as well, freshly washed well ironed sheets are THE BEST when you are exhausted and cold and snuggle up in bed in the winter *happy sigh*

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emsy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:35 am

Nothing fancy here :) i just fold them and store them in one of the built in drawers under the bed (i would love to iron them but 5 beds to do i just don't have time )

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby queen bee » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:00 am

We have a shelf or drawer in each bedroom wardrobe for bed linen so it is easily to hand if a middle of the night bed change is needed.

Each bedding set is neatly folded (duvet cover, sheet etc) and the placed in the matching pillowcase to keep it all together. This was suggested by Anthea Turner on Perfect Housewife @clothmama

I use IKEA skubb zippable fabric storage ($6.99) cases to store the bedding and spare duvet and Pillows in my newly fitted bedroom. As it is an ikea bedroom they fit perfectly on one of the shelves, but these storage cases would also work well under the bed or on top of a wardrobe.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:14 am

Ours is in a big cupboard on the landing. I store bottom sheet, duvet cover and matching pillowcases all inside a pillowcase, makes it much quicker when changing the bed :-)

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:27 pm

Caroline wrote:That's the thing with a blanket box type thing, I know I would want what was at the bottom so end up pulling everything out.

Those that store in the bathroom, how do you stop condensation getting in there?

I don't iron my linen. I have a superking size bed and cotton sheets/covers that are 800 thread count. It would take me a week to get all the creases out. It is IMPOSSIBLE to iron.

You need a steam generator - i have a super king too... and usually 1000+ tc sheats, they are a PITA to iron, infact, my linen duvet set is the worst thing in the world... but the steam gen does make it much easier than it used to be.

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Goddess