hf1

Line drying in November?

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Line drying in November?

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Is there any point in hanging washing out at this time of year?

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Line drying in November?

Postby CherryPie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm not bothering but I've seen plenty of other ppl doing it :)

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:31 pm

Mine is out now and is on every dry day (not damp days though), even if there's snow on the ground my washing will go out on a clear day. I find that even if it doesn't dry fully, it dries much faster once inside in the evening (I don't have a dryer). Today is dry and there's a breeze so my washing is out.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm doing it when it's dry & breezy. Takes quite a lot of wetness off them so when I bring them in in the evening they dry faster. Plus stops the house smelling of damp washing constantly

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Yes definately!!

I hang my washing out all year unless its raining or damp....i NEVER dry washing from wet out of the washing machine and i hate having towels drying on the airers as they take an age. I dont mind drying normal clothes on the airers and underwear etc , then i pop everything in the tumble dryer for 10 mins to 'finish' it off.

Today is great line drying weather (well it is here!) i currently have 65ft of washing (3 wash loads of towels/bedding) drying on mine! :shock: :giggle:

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Glad I'm not the only crazy hanging-the-washing-out-all-year-round woman out there :giggle:
I will even admit to hanging the washing out if it's a bit damp/foggy as well, as long as there's a breeze - which there usually is at the exposed end of the garden where washing line no.2 is :wink: - as I love the fresh air smell in clothes, even if they don't dry much :roll:
All yesterday's washing was pretty much dry by the time it came in, just needed 10 mins finishing off in the dryer & I suspect today's load will be similar :thumbsup:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:14 pm

I was up until ths week when I found it didn't make that much difference. I do have a dryer but don't use much so in winter I put the clothes in the dryer for 1hr then put on the airers I have hanging on the radiators and it finishes them off even though the heating is only on for an hour or 2 max a day.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:28 pm

I tend to go by how damp the ground and washing line itself is if it's looking damp out. If the line and ground are drying in any breeze then I'll put washing out, if they're remaining wet then I figure the washing isn't going to dry!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:31 pm

ladybird wrote:I tend to go by how damp the ground and washing line itself is if it's looking damp out. If the line and ground are drying in any breeze then I'll put washing out, if they're remaining wet then I figure the washing isn't going to dry!

That's what it's been like here most mornings - damp line & grass. Later on it often brightens up even though it's cold but then I CBA to hang it out when I have to fetch it in again about 3.30 before it starts to damp down again :roll:

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess