hf1

Banana stains?

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Banana stains?

Postby mudita » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:54 pm

How do you get banana out of clothes? My LO got bannana mush all over his lovely onsie cause I didn't use a bib--head to toe! Previously, when weaning DS1, no other mums had issues with banana and clothes, but I always found it stained so never gave banana without either stripping off the clothes or a sleeved bib. I thought perhaps I would have better luck this time, but no--stains everywhere! I have washed them to no avail, and have now just scrubbed it with a brush and washing up liquid and will washa again in morning...

Any hot tips??? (other than use a bib next time)

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Banana stains?

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:58 pm

I've never found anything to get them out :(
I have quite a few stained muslins & bibs because of bananas! It turns an awful black/ brown colour :(

Sorry, I'm not much help am I?

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:00 pm

I hate banana stains with a passion.
This worked for me but not very Eco.
Wash at 60 with bio after pre treating with vanish then treat with a de solve spray stain remover and wash again it should be out if not repeat the last step. I havent tested it as if it works dont break it :)
If it's White I make up string Milton and soak but that's basically just bleaching it out.

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 pm

I never could get banana stains out either :(

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:09 pm

thanks--at least i wasn't imagining that it stained!!!! no other mums in my village ever had a problem :shock: and their LOs would walk around at playgroups with bananas getting smushed everywhere...

i will bung it in a towel wash and do them at 60 with my bold 2 in 1, and see where we are at

i should have known better but i didn't expect him to go to town with it! :giggle: it was just for a play :roll:

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:46 pm

Rinsing the banana off with cold water before it gets a chance to start drying and staining seems to be the only way to combat these horrible stains.

I have occasionally forgot the cover everthing bib and so long as I whip the clothes into cold water ASAP I have been ok so far :thumbsup:

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:56 am

I do what jellybelly6 does, rinse off with cold water and very quicky, it doesn't take long for banana to turn.

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:27 pm

it is almost out! am going to give it one more scrub and am keeping it wet until then............then off to get some long sleeve bibs!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:11 pm

:hohoho: then it'll be the trousers.

Return to Domestic Goddess