33%

Total votes : 27
My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Who cleans their own windows?

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Erm, not me! No-one does them. I think I have done the insides about twice in 4 years and I've never done the outsides :oops: we have a Victorian House with big bays and sash windows so they can't be done without a tall ladder. We were going to get a window cleaner but I just haven't organised it yet, the quote was £20 for all the windows front and back which seemed reasonable to me, I earn £17+ an hour and it would take me well over an hour to do them all. £5 is a bargain!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Our guy doesnt use a ladder he had a van with a very long hose and a long stick attachment (I'm sure it has a techincal name but or my benefit let's stick to stick) ge even has his own water ect.
I had a blocked drain last time e came and he spent about an hour trying to unblock it bless him.
I think all the cheap one's are a guy with a ladder and a bucket.
Just a note on pressure washers DH cleaned our patio windows with one when we first bought the house and ruptured the seal so we down get condensation between the panes :roll: I need to et it replaced but I can think of better things to spend £300 on. So just be careful.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 pm

We have window cleaners but they only do the outside as we are generally at work when they come. I use e-cloth o do the inside (occasionally :oops:)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:25 pm

KimmyM wrote:Our guy doesnt use a ladder he had a van with a very long hose and a long stick attachment (I'm sure it has a techincal name but or my benefit let's stick to stick) ge even has his own water ect.

That is called a water fed pole system. It's what my dh uses. It is actually illegal for tradesmen to use ladders in the U.K when there is an alternative. Also, when if a tradesman falls off his ladder on your property & they can prove that you did not supply adequate safety precautions, you could be found liable. Be very cautious about the window cleaner you chose, make sure he has public liabilty insurance which means he is a proper professional & it covers your property if it gets damaged. My dh does some work for the master guild of window cleaners so unfortunately I know all about it :roll:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:09 pm

monsterm wrote:
KimmyM wrote:Our guy doesnt use a ladder he had a van with a very long hose and a long stick attachment (I'm sure it has a techincal name but or my benefit let's stick to stick) ge even has his own water ect.

That is called a water fed pole system. It's what my dh uses. It is actually illegal for tradesmen to use ladders in the U.K when there is an alternative. Also, when if a tradesman falls off his ladder on your property & they can prove that you did not supply adequate safety precautions, you could be found liable. Be very cautious about the window cleaner you chose, make sure he has public liabilty insurance which means he is a proper professional & it covers your property if it gets damaged. My dh does some work for the master guild of window cleaners so unfortunately I know all about it :roll:

Our window cleaner uses that system as well and it does a great job of the windows, he charges us £10

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:18 pm

That seems really cheap our guy is probably here for about 45 mins or so of course has to commute. I certainly wouldn't do it for a £10.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 pm

KimmyM wrote:That seems really cheap our guy is probably here for about 45 mins or so of course has to commute. I certainly wouldn't do it for a £10.

We are a 5 bed house as well, perhaps that sort of thing is generally cheaper up here

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:27 pm

Much cheaper to get your windows cleaned in Scotland. They have a lot of people on the dole/disability who earn drinking money by cleaning windows for next to nothing up there which means the professionals have to do it cheaper to compete. Window cleaners in Scotland are required by law to have a licence but those guys wouldn't.

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Does licking them count? :loopy: Sorry couldn't resist, sleep deprivation has sent me :loopy:

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Goddess