hf1

Recycling habits

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Recycling habits

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:08 am

I'm an avid recycler (and reuser) of everything, and always make sure food containers going in my recycling have been well rinsed and contain no food traces.

I was surprised the other day to be chatting with a friend while she cooked, and she merrily chucked things in the recycling without cleaning them (raw chicken breast container still containing defrost liquid with blood :-? and tomato tin and bacon pack).

It got me wondering - am I overly anal? Or is she totally minging?!

It was my understanding that recycling is sorted by hand, so can't contain decomposing stuff.

What do you do?

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Recycling habits

Postby Bluebell » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:20 am

We rinse everything as best we can. Meat packaging goes in our normal bin though.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:37 am

Fling it in, as it is - we are veggie so only thing that really goes in with traces would be butter or tinned stuff and we dont eat much of those so not a lot really.

Most of our plastic recycling is milk and juice bottles and food stuffs are usually packaged in plastic bags which isnt recyclable or cardboard which obv doesnt hold onto any 'stuff'

You are supposed to rinse it but for odor/health issues really rather than the recycling process as everything is heated/cleaned before recycled anyway so it makes no difference in the great scheme of things.

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:41 am

I'm anal and rinse everything too. I didn't know you could recycle meat packaging though - that always goes in the normal rubbish :oops:

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:46 am

Yeah, I bin my meat packs too! Also bin butter wrappers!

Phew, not just me then!

I like knowing my recycling bin is clean, I'd hate it to smell of stale milk etc, and only takes a little effort to rinse cartons.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:46 am

I rinse everything but don't wash them thoroughly. I recycle meat packaging and also just rinse that 1st too as like Rox said, we were told to have no food in there for odour purposes as it's all then treated anyway. Also the sorting staff would be wearing appropriate gloves too :wink:

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:49 am

I tend to give it a quick rinse but sometimes forget, and sometimes I forget to recycle and it just goes in the bin :oops: I'm a rubbish eco-warrior!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:51 am

We rinse everything, but don't scrub it out. Glass goes in the dishwasher once, as does some plastic. We get through very little meat, but our council don't take trays and yoghurt pots anyway, only plastic bottles (has to be bottles :roll: ).

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:53 am

Actually it's good to know that it doesn't need to be rinsed for processing purposes - I do sometimes put stuff in the general rubbish if I can't be bothered / it's too hard to clean (eg peanut butter jars) now I'll put them in dirty :wink:

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess