hf1

Question about fleece liners

My avatar
daisy_123
Clothie
Clothie

Question about fleece liners

Postby daisy_123 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:12 pm

I am thinking about trying fleece liners overnight and would like to make my own. I read a suggestion on this forum to cut up a cheap fleece blanket from somewhere like Primark... is this type of fleece 100% polyester? Is that okay to use? The reason I ask is because I recently put a fleecy 100% polyester sleepsuit on my baby and in the morning when I opened it to undress her she was soaking inside - the nappy had leaked all up her vest and body, but the sleepsuit had kept it all contained inside and not leaked out onto her sleeping bag. So this makes it seem like fleece doesn't let wetness through? So how can it work as a liner?! Sorry if I am missing something really obvious!

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Question about fleece liners

Postby weefywoo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:14 pm

I can't give the science behind it but I buy the thin fleece cheapy blankets and cut them up to use in nappies and they work fine

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Yep, it does work, but keeps wee bums dry cos the wetness stays underneath. I use a huge fleece blanket folded in half with a bath towel in the middle as a waterproof bed cover when my dd was potty training. Worked a treat!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:40 pm

It definitely works :thumbsup:

I think the science bit is that it doesn't have the ability to soak up anything ie retain moisture. So the moisture goes straight through to the soaky uppy bit. Or as an outer the moisture can t wick onto the bed clothes and stays on the nappy ... Or anything else that will soak nearby ie vest.

HTH

Xxx

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Ps that's only my interpretation it could be completely wrong lol!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:43 pm

I have always thought the same -as fleece can be used as a nappy cover how can it let moisture thru as a liner? I still have no idea how but I use fleece as liners and they do work

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:47 pm

I winder if it is to do with force ie the pressure wee comes out forces it through and the absorbent nappy encourages it. Where as if there is something damp next to the fleece, and nothing particularly absorbent on the otherwise it will not be forced through. It may also be to do with body heat and precipitation. It night be that I've made all that up ti he!!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:57 pm

but fleece soakers are worn next to cotton bedsheets etc which are absorbent and baby lies on the fleece so u would think sheets would get wet too in theory!

My avatar
thenappywrapstore
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby thenappywrapstore » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:52 pm

fleece is magical, also it allows air to circulate, so can encourage moisture to evaporate.. Some of my customers told me their babies nappies where less wet in the mornings.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories