hf1

Non synthetic liners

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Non synthetic liners

Postby Shevi » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:27 pm

hi all, in light of Boo's newest rash, i am looking for alternative liners for when we finish using icky disps.
i usually use fleece, have used thin paper ones once, but he got a rah almost immediately, so wont use them again, but if it is the fleece bothering him (i know i wouldn't really wear synthetic knickers! and when you do (cos the prettiest ones are synthetic!), my mother taught me to make sure they have a cotton gusset!!)
i want to try to find an alternative.
so what liners can youi all advise, not bothers about them being disposable or washable, but if they are disposable, i would rather flush than throw...and any other idvice would be great too.
thank you
Shevi

ps. if fleece is the prob..what can i do with my pretty pockets...and what will i use instead?
do you think whahms will make me pockets with non synthetic liners!?

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:07 pm

Shevi, you could try silk liners. They are 100 % natural and are supposed to help with healing too. I should think most of the nappy sites do them, I got mine from babykind. They also do liners with silver in thazt are supposed to help heal nappy rash, think they are fron twinkle or maybe kittykins.

Hope both the boys get better soon.

Ericax

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:08 pm

Oh Shevi, poor baby.

I can't really suggest any liners as most of them are synthetic. I did trial Silver liners for Twinkle and they were good for healing but are still made from polyester so may not work if he is sensitive to fleece, they are also expensive I think.

I think paper liners are all much of a muchness really, although you could try the thicker cellulose ones. I have a couple of rolls leftover from when I used them in the early days and can send you a few sheets in the post to try if you like? I think they are flushable.

The only other option is to go liner free - I think it is Cat who never uses liners in her nappies. There is no reason to use liners except to a)make poo disposable easier and b)to provide a stay dry barrier but perhaps he would be more comfortable with no liner and just more frequent changes.

I think the new Swaddlebees pockets have a more natural lining on top of the fleece so it is certainly possible - there is no harm in asking.

Hope it heals really quickly and you get back into your cloth.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:08 am

I have a silk liner from babykind that I bought when Katie has awful rash. Never got to use it though as it got better once I'd ordered it, typical.

When her rash was bad I stopped using all liners, made cloeaning the poo a bit more tricky but seemed to help a bit. if the nappy is fleece lined I just put a booster over the top - like others said that's what the swaddlebees pockets do :D Bamboo would be good cos of the anti-bacterial properties.

((hugs)) to you Shevi and to poor Zacharia, I hope it clears up soon, rashes are horrid

Ali x

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:16 pm

Hi,

I came across wool liners the other day whilst surfing the web, they're meant to help with nappy rash. I haven't used them personally so I don't know how effective they are but it might be worth a try. Have a look:

(http://naturalbeginnings.nl/Scripts/pro ... Product=90)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm

I wouldn't dismiss the fleece liners unless you are sure that is the problem. I say that as I'm a cotton gusset only kind of girl and since I've moved over to washable sanpro I have 1 pad that is cotton on one side and fleece on the other and I always use the fleece side now, even though it is synthetic it breaths etc and I actually feel dryer and more comfortable using that.

Is he teething???? Louis gets so red and sore when he is teething and it has been getting worse with each set of teeth that coem through regardless of what nappy/liner he has on. Have you tried cornflour at night to keep his skin all dry? Pure aloe vera gel is also fab.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:34 pm

well these past few days in disps has just shown me that its nothing to do with the nappys.
he seems to do very very toxic poos. and even tho i change the nappy within seconds of the poo being done, there is a pimply rash that appears immediately. if it is treated with canestan almost immediately, it is gone by next change, if not then it swetas a little in the nappy and is slightly worse the next change....this is even with a barrier cream.
so pocket nappies seem to make it worse slightly quicker as the fleece , then microfibre, then hemp and then pul is less breathable than bamboo and then wool...but the the prob is with his digestive system first and foremost.
i have bought some probiotic powder and have started to add some to every bottle, and am going to investigate taking him somewhere for food testng, as constant use of canestan is surelt not the answer!!!
will still try bamboo and silver as liners tho, as am hoping that antibac properties might help a bit too.
thank you all for your suggestions
shevi
ps. giselle, i have started to crochet a wool liner (gorgeous soft merino wool!) but am a little scared about it being poos on!!!

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:05 am

Shevi wrote:he seems to do very very toxic poos. and even tho i change the nappy within seconds of the poo being done, there is a pimply rash that appears immediately. if it is treated with canestan almost immediately, it is gone by next change, if not then it swetas a little in the nappy and is slightly worse the next change....this is even with a barrier cream.
so pocket nappies seem to make it worse slightly quicker as the fleece , then microfibre, then hemp and then pul is less breathable than bamboo and then wool...but the the prob is with his digestive system first and foremost.

That was exactly what I found. Acid poo was burning her bum no matter what nappy she had on. I don't know what caused them to be so acid over such a long period but it just stopped after a few months.

Sorry not much help, hugs to you and Zacharia. I hope his little bum clears up soon

Ali

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:18 am

did you do anything? or did it clear up by its self?
its probably been a month already, and he has got 3 teeth in that time...and i know he has more coming as he is chrwing his muslins soo much that they are sopping wet when i take him out his cot.
hopefully the probiotics might help a little...i should bloody hope so, cos they cost a fortune!!!
thank you for the reassurance
shevi

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories