hf1

Cloth wipes and wet bags

My avatar
Stephkidd89
Clothie
Clothie

Cloth wipes and wet bags

Postby Stephkidd89 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:52 am

I am expecting baby number 1 in March and have just bought some newborn nappies on here to get us started, also been given a generous stash of various size 1s by a local library :) next thing I need to look into is which cloth wipes are going to be best-how many will we need and which cheaper options aren't just a waste of money?!
I'm also looking to use a wet bag rather than a bucket even at home so need to get a large one for home and small one (or two?) for when out. Any tips again on finding a not overpriced but cute and won't leak version?!
Thanks for any advice-I feel so lost in the world of cloth right now! Sure once little one is here and I can get out to cloth meet ups etc it'll become clearer but for now I feel I'm googling then hoping for the best haha x

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Cloth wipes and wet bags

Postby Bugglyboo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 am

We use an extra large planet wise wet bag. It fits about 3 days worth of large nappies and has never leaked for us.

Out and about, we use wet bags from tiny nippers. They are super cheap but do the job.

I always found that wet bags leaked if I took my wipes out wet so I took them dry and used a tap or bottle of water to wet them and then just threw them in the wet bag with the nappies. I do like my wipes to be pretty wet though.

My avatar
Stephkidd89
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Stephkidd89 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Thank you! :D back into google I go haha

My avatar
_michelle_
Clothie
Clothie

Postby _michelle_ » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi, we use cheeky wipes here which have lasted well but could be a little bigger. I take them out damp in an xs monkey foot wet bag and they don't leak as long as I fold the bag over at the top else they leak through the zip.

I wash the cheeky wipes with the nappies and the face ones with the clothes. We've used a large monkey foot wet bag for 18 months now for out and about and it holds around 6 large dirty nappies, maybe 8 newborn and again I fold the top down to stop leaking.

I didn't like the little lamb drawstring wetbag as it never fully closed and only held around 3 large nappies so it is my spare when the other is in the wash.

My avatar
_michelle_
Clothie
Clothie

Postby _michelle_ » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Oh and as for how many you will need it depends on how often you will be doing a cloth nappy wash. I would say 25 for daily and 40 for every two days as you will need some spare while the others are in the wash and there's nothing worse then packing to head out and realising that you don't have any to take with you

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:09 pm

I have 24 GroVia wipes and could do with some more really for safety. They are a great size and texture so do the job really well. I store them in just a normal snap-down lock Tupperware box (iykwim).

For face and general wipe downs I just have some small thin flannels, but recently used a friends one and I'm totally sold as did a much better job on my now very mucky baby led weened 10 month old! It was a Little Lamb wipe but was really big and fairly thick, I think like a bamboo flannel?

SmartiPants do a SmartPail wet bag which is a zip lock (which I find much better than drawstring) and is a really good size at very reasonable price. I haven't had any leaks and even though one of them has delaminated a bit this doesn't seem to have effected the bag overall. They also do smaller ones for out and about. They are just plain colours but if you're looking for cheep and cheerful it's a good choice.
I also have a Bubba & Boo wet bag for out and about and then my 'treat' one was a Blueberry wet bag.
They all work just as well as each other but the Blueberry ones come in great prints :) I must say that even though it was a bit more expensive the Blueberry wet bag is definitely a bit thicker and more robust feeling.

Have a look on the Thenappygurus.com site cos they have loads at good prices.

My avatar
Willo2
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Willo2 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:11 am

I've got 2 wet bags for out and about, and I made 2 to line a pedal bin. Then it keeps all the smell in the bin and really easy to just push inside out straight into the wash :-)

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:34 am

D'ya know, although we are out of nappies in our house, our wet bags are still in use. The nappy bucket has become the washing basket downstairs for teatowels and facecloth (we bought loads of flannels to clean up small people after dinner) and it's still great to have that bag in it which just goes in the wash.

I'm actually looking for a couple of small wet bags for bits for work, but I'm a bit shocked at the prices of the planet wise ones on amazon, so I might have to try to make my own.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:34 am

JabberJabber wrote:I'm actually looking for a couple of small wet bags for bits for work, but I'm a bit shocked at the prices of the planet wise ones on amazon, so I might have to try to make my own.

I got mine from TJs Nappies and they are really cheap and great - been going strong for a year now with no problems - I also couldn't justify the price of the Planetwise ones! I also have one from ebay and it is absolutely fine too and only a couple of quid @JabberJabber

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories