hf1

Help with boosters!

My avatar
Noof
Clothie
Clothie

Help with boosters!

Postby Noof » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:15 pm

I'm desperately trying to get on with cloth nappies but I'm struggling and really feeling like giving up.
My little boy is 2.5 and we've only started cloth recently. I have a selection of nappies, and with all of them I find within 90minutes-2 hours he's leaked. Not drastically, but just where the leg edges are he's damp. I thought I was fitting them wrong and so watched loads of videos and have changed how I'm putting them on. They look much better now! But he's still getting damp near the edge of the nappy. What's different is that the booster are soaked, so I'm sure I need to change how I'm boosting? I've been using a MF insert first because everyone seems to say they're good for wicking the moisture away quick. Then a bamboo or a charcoal underneath. Should I ditch the MF altogether and just do 2 bamboo? 3 boosters feels like overkill and must make the nappy massive! Is there another type of booster I should be trying?

I really want to get this but it's starting to feel like too much work. I feel like I should be getting longer than 2 hrs out of a nappy, he wouldn't stand for me trying to change him every 2 hours!

Sorry for the ramble, any advice really appreciated!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Help with boosters!

Postby clothmama » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi and welcome to the Tree :wave: :wave: By 2.5 they are doing pretty big pees so it is tricky to get it right. Are you using pocket nappies? MF is good for quick wicking as you mentioned but also squishes out the way a sponge does which can cause the dampness. Bamboo is also pretty quick so you could try just putting them in. The other option is hemp - it is a great wee storage material behind the bamboo - may just give you a little longer but really at that age they are super pee'ers so a bit tricky to go much longer. @noof

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Help with boosters!

Postby Aeseldyr » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:14 am

Welcome :wave: @noof
Agree with Clothmama by 2,5 years they wee alot and the boosting can be real tricky. I found that mf is just like a sponge - absorbs quick but then leaks the wee when they sit and play. Cotton as the top absorber is in my opinion better because it absorbs quick but holds the wee. Then bamboo or hemp as the second layer or even third if needed. Think we had one cotton and 2 hemp inserts in my youngest pockets by 2,5 years.

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories