Question about hemp fabric

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Question about hemp fabric

Postby Pinchette » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi

I have just bought some hemp fabric from babeco to make my own inserts. I got the strectch terry velour one and I was just wondering if there was a difference in levels of absorbancy between the terry, the jersey and the fleece (which were the 3 different hemp fabrics you could buy on there)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gisele

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:52 pm

i'm not sure but i think that hemp fleece is the most absorbant as hemp boosters are either 3 layers hemp fleece or 6 layers hemp jersey...as for the terry velour whatsit, i have no idea, but i bet it feels lovely!! remeber to wash it loads before you play cos otherwise it will shrink after and make your new stuff look less pretty

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:02 am

I'm not really sure. I know they are all a cotton / hemp mix of 45%/55%. I think the babeco website has the weights per m2. I would have thought they are all the same but might be wrong!

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi,

Well I thought I'd update you now that I've made some inserts and been using them for a while.
I've made 7 or 8 inserts of 3 layers with 1 metre of fabric (£8 something) and I 've used the same shape as the wonderoos insert - hourglass shape wider on one side.
So far, I am very very happy with them. They're not as absorbant as the hemp fleece but there isn't much difference. They are thinner and less stiff than the hemp fleece. Overall I'd say they're ideal for day time. If I was to use them for night time I would probably use 2 or 3 together.

Gisele

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:39 pm

Thanks for the update Gisele, I was wondering how they went. I've been looking at buying some and making my own and now I know which one to get (hemp fleece).

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories