hf1

Pre washing hemp jersey?

My avatar
claireb
Clothie
Clothie

Pre washing hemp jersey?

Postby claireb » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:36 am

I have just received some hemp jersey inserts from easy peasy nappies. Do I need to prewash these before using and if so how many times? Can I just bung them in with the next dirty nappy load which I do on 60 degrees?!
Thanks

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Pre washing hemp jersey?

Postby becsom » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:04 am

Hi - I washed my EP hemp inserts a couple of times in with non-nappy washing before putting them in with the nappies. Apparently, the oils in new hemp can coat the absorbent parts of nappies and make the less absorbent iykwim?

Not sure how true that is, but I washed them separately just in case :wink:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:17 am

becsom wrote:Hi - I washed my EP hemp inserts a couple of times in with non-nappy washing before putting them in with the nappies. Apparently, the oils in new hemp can coat the absorbent parts of nappies and make the less absorbent iykwim?

Not sure how true that is, but I washed them separately just in case :wink:

WSS. Hemp needs loads of washes before it's fully asorbent. I usually wash mine 3 or 4 times before using and then just change Katie more regularly until they're up to full absorbency. HTH

My avatar
claireb
Clothie
Clothie

Postby claireb » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks. So just put them in at eg our 40 degrees clothes washes a few times and thereafter, can put in with dirty nappy wash?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:39 pm

I gave ours 2 or 3 washes as well before I used them, after the first wash though I just chucked them in with nappies. x

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories