Alternatives to fleece liners?

My avatar
ksemro
Clothie
Clothie

Alternatives to fleece liners?

Postby ksemro » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi all,
I only seem to be able to find 3 types of liners -- paper disposables, polyester fleece (washable) and silk (washable). We really want a washable liner, but we are concerned that polyester isn't a natural product (and there have been studies linking it with infertility). We have been told that using silk liners all the time isn't really practical (as they can't be washed with the nappies & they are expensive), are there any other alternatives for liners?

From what I've read fleece has become really popular for liners in the past few years because it keeps the baby dry, but what did people use before this? Cotton? Does anyone know if cotton fleece would be worth using for liners? If the liner does stay wet, does this necessarily mean the baby will get nappy rash?

Thanks!

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Alternatives to fleece liners?

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:51 pm

weenotions do minkee and i think cuddlesoft liners. they'd be fab! and pretty much unstainable i think too.x

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm

We didn't bother with liners after a while. I suppose you could lay a sheet of bamboo or cotton in the nappy as a liner, but it wouldn't act as a stay-dry layer, just another absorbent one. We worked on the idea that it was all going to get washed anyway so didn't matter if there was a fleece liner in or not. When we were little there weren't stay-dry liners at all.

and no, no nappy rash with my lot without liners, they get used it and you change regularly. My lot got more rashes from disposables than anything else.

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:58 pm

*tinkerbellarella* wrote:weenotions do minkee and i think cuddlesoft liners. they'd be fab! and pretty much unstainable i think too.x

ah but they're still polyester aren't they?

My avatar
Soozi
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Soozi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:27 pm

yes minkee is polyester. I use bamboo or cotton velour next to skin, it doesn't work as effectively as fleece but it is better imo than other natural fabrics. We don't get any rashes, and i certainly don't take the nappy off and think his bottom is wet. Cotton or bamboo fleece i don't like next to the skin.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

jan3182001 wrote:
*tinkerbellarella* wrote:weenotions do minkee and i think cuddlesoft liners. they'd be fab! and pretty much unstainable i think too.x

ah but they're still polyester aren't they?

ah doh, didn't think of that. :oops: :oops: :oops:

My avatar
ksemro
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ksemro » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks for the tips!

You've probably guessed by now that we haven't had the baby yet! Only a few weeks to go.

A few more questions:

I have wondered whether the liners were actually necessary. Is it the case though that using a liner makes it easier/more convenient to get the poo off, than trying to get it off the nappy itself?

I've read that you may have to rise the liner to get the poo off, if you are dry pailing can you still put the wet liner into the nappy bin? And if you didn't use a liner and had to rise the whole nappy could you put this into the 'dry' nappy bin?

My avatar
Soozi
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Soozi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:23 pm

no you don't need to use liners, some people find it easier to use a liner so they can keep the solids contained on one piece of flat fabric and therefore you don't have to fiddle to get it out of the scrunched up elastic areas. It also reduces the risk of staining to the actual nappy. I personally gave up on using liners pretty quickly as i found they were another thing to fiddle with when doing up the nappy and as i'm the one who removes the solids i'm not too bothered if i have a bit of extra work getting the solids out of the elastic area's. As for staining i have only two slightly stained nappies and i figure as i plan to use them through multiple kids- if they stain a little its only me that knows. And when i used fleece liners i had escaping solids anyway! As for dry pailing- you can chuck what ever you like in there :-) its your bucket! As far as i understood it dry pailing doesn't mean everything has to be dry. Just that you aren't pre soaking your nappies as alot of people consider it unnecessary as long as you don't leave them for too long. :-)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:16 pm

Also the other reason for using a stay dry liner is for baby's comfort. Some babies do not like feeling wetness against their skin at all so unless you change them as soon as they have wee'd you will need some sort of stay dry layer. Other babies don't seem to mind it.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories