hf1

Paper liners inside fleece pockets? or fleece alternatives?

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Paper liners inside fleece pockets? or fleece alternatives?

Postby rachelinscotland » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:42 pm

Just wondering if anyone puts paper liners over fleece lined pocket nappies? My 2yo daughter gets a very red bottom whenever fleece is next to her skin (only turns red if she's actually urinated - something about having a wet bottom with the fleece next to her - anyone else had this??)

Anyway, I use Minki fleece pockets on my 11.5mo little boy, as they keep him lovely & dry all night. My daughter seems to wake up in the night with a wet bottom, so I was hoping maybe a stay-dry nappy would help matters. I've started putting a paper liner inside the Minki and *no* red bottom! :D But I just wondered if it's as effective? It *seems* the paper liner traps a little bit of wetness (more than the fleece feels wet). Not sure if it's my imagination or not. But if anyone else does or has done the same, maybe you can let me know how you felt it worked. Certainly seems better than an ordinary shaped nappy with paper liner. (For months I've been using a Tots Bot/Little Lamb or Engle nappy with large microfibre booster on top for her at nights, as she is quite a heavy wetter.)

On another forum (before I found this one!) I was asking about alternatives to fleece for sensitive skin and some suggested suedecloth and others the ME stay-dry liners. I bought a couple of stay-dry liners but they feel as damp as anything, IMHO - do they really work? I've also bought a secondhand suedecloth lined Minki Waffle but haven't received it yet - so can't comment on them yet. I bought a Swaddlebees pocket nappy (possibly older style judging by label) which appears to be velour over fleece. Seems she doesn't get redness, but the velour feels so wet & soggy. Again, maybe just my opinon - don't know what others think! :) Perhaps I'm just a picky person and want my babies to always feel dry!

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough - you can see I like my cloth nappies! But hopefully all of you pros on here can give me some input & advice.

Thanks! :)

My avatar
LadyMoonlight
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Paper liners inside fleece pockets? or fleece alternatives?

Postby LadyMoonlight » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:53 pm

I always use a fleece liner (don't have many fleece lined nappies) and a paper liner on top.

I'd love to just use the fleece but my two don't leave me flickable nappies :? so paper liners are a must :lol: I use the fleece just to keep their bottoms dry.

It works great for me.

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Thanks, glad to know that someone else uses both! :)

So far I'm surviving with just fleece liners for my 11mo little boy. He's only recently on to solids and usually has a bowel movement only about 1-2 times a week. So I didn't really feel it was worth wasting all the paper liners for only once or twice a week! Whereas, my daughter has always had 1-3 bowel movements a day, so she's been with paper liners since birth! LOL It's only with my little boy I tried the fleece ones, and then realised they weren't any good for her.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am

Hi
We use paper liners when Kayleigh goes to nursery. These are used over the top of bumgenius or HH's generally, so they are lined nappies anyway. She seems to be a little wetter with the paper in there, but for 2 days a week, it's OK.
We did use little lambs for night when Kayleigh was younger, but now only use fleece lined nappies (minkis and wee notions night nappies). It means she doesn't have any redness in the mornings.
I have heard some people talk about babies having a fleece allergy, and your daughter might have one. There are also silk liners and liners with silver in them in order to reduce nappy rash and soothe a red bum (but I think they are a little harder to clean than fleece). Good luck in finding alternatives, but if paper works for you, then I would be inclined to stick to it.

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:53 pm

Some of the disposable liners can be washed several times, i only throw them away when soiled..

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:01 pm

I use the Boots disposable nappy liners - but they wash and wash with all the nappies until they get flushed with a poo on it - don't know how long each one actually lasts for, but after 3 - 4 washes they are still perfectly usable.

To be honest the whole dry bum thing isn't something which seems to matter either way to us - we battled very servere fungal nappy rash and lotions and potions for months which is when I switched and the wee seeps through the liner and must keep the bum slightly dry as otherwise he would be constantly sore.

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories