hf1

Wonderfull boosters curling up

My avatar
Tandia
Clothie
Clothie

Wonderfull boosters curling up

Postby Tandia » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi - not sure if this is the best place to post this question - please let me know if it should go elsewhere.

I have been using Fuzzi Bunz with a combo of the larger inserts which come with them and a wonderfull booster. The wonderfull is the two piece one which comes with poppers to join them, although I now only use the larger part.

I've had no problems using them for years, however in recent washes I've noticed that the end is starting to curl up and doesn't want to lie flat, which means they don't sit well in the pocket. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be suddenly causing this, or what I can do to prevent it?

In case it is relevant, I wash at a mixture of 40 and 60 degrees, with a cold rinse before and after. I put vinegar and a couple of drops of tea tree oil and lavender in the final rinse.

Thanks for your help.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Wonderfull boosters curling up

Postby smilinglou » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:57 pm

I have this with a few of my inserts, if they go stiff which normally means they curl I wring them and they go all soft again, have you tried just soaking them in water for a while? Not sure what to suggest really, would ironing them work as long as they arent hemp or bamboo?

Not really relevant but vinegar isn't great for the pul in nappies and often ends any warantee that you may have on new nappies, and I've read some info about lavender and tea tree and turns out it probably isn't a good idea to go on the nappies, I think this was the link: http://readingdirt.blogspot.com/2006/07 ... rogen.html
but google seem to have a load of info if you type in lavender oil hormone.

Hope that all helps x

My avatar
Tandia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Tandia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks for the advice. Will try soaking the boosters to see if that helps, and then giving them a good wring out.

Will also definitely see if we can survive without the essential oils too - the nappies seem to stink a lot at the moment anyway, and we're probably due a good strip wash, which makes more difference than the oils do anyway. I thought vinegar was really good for nappies though - is it just the PUL it is bad for? Would you recommend separating the pockets from the stuffing to use the vinegar on the inserts only, or is it just not needed?

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:25 pm

You could seperate yes, it's just the pul as far as I know that is the problem.
Do you use non bio? If you do consider trying bio, wash at 40 and rinse well after, the bio powders arent a problem if you rinse, when I switched I didnt have problems with smelly nappies anymore :wink:
I think you could get away with using vineger once or twice tbh I know I have done and bicarb but just try not to use them too often.
Hope that helps x

My avatar
Tandia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Tandia » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks again for your help. We have switched back and forth with bio and non bio as my eldest son has eczema and we think it makes it flair up, but we could use it just for the nappies, (which he doesn't wear anymore).

Will consider using the vinegar less often, but we do need to get rid of the smell first! I think the strip wash might do the trick (fingers crossed!).

Cheers

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cumbrianlass » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:50 pm

It is PUL AND bamboo vinegar is not good for, although as PP said you could probably get away with once or twice, just not regular. You could soak any non bamboo insert in a white vinegar and water solution overnight and then rinse them. For any PUL try washing them with a dishwasher tablet and then rinsing well, worked for me.

If bub is teething this could be the source of the smell. While mine were teething I pre-washed (or rinsed if you don't have cold pre-wash) and this stopped the urine setting in the nappy and got rid of the smells.

ETA: duh sorry, just re-read and you already pre-wash, strip wash it is then :wink:

My avatar
Tandia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Tandia » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks again for the advice ladies.

I've tried the soaking and wringing suggestion, and no luck, I'm afraid. Looking at the inserts again - they aren't stiff at all, so I guess it's different from your experience. The inserts are made of two layers, stitched together all around the outside, and on one side the fabric seems to have bulged out a bit, and so that is pulling the top down and making it curl over. The problem is that more and more of the inserts are getting like this, and the ones that did it first are curling more and more, which makes it hard to stuff them into the pockets. I'm going to try the ironing idea next, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have looked them up and they are just micro fibre (not hemp or bamboo) if that makes any difference.

Cheers again.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:04 pm

I cant think why theyd go like that, I have a strange thought of freezing them, absolutely no idea why but it comes to mind, some of our older ones have gone a bit funny at the edge but I know what you mean about not being able to use them properly in the pocket :-? You can probably get them quite cheap preloved if you wanted to buy more as mf always goes cheaply. My lo's nappies stink of ammonia at the moment even when she's only just wee'd because she's teething, that may be the problem x

My avatar
Tandia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Tandia » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:49 am

Well I ironed the boosters last night - the smell was pretty awful, despite doing a strip wash first, but it did flatten them out. The question now is whether they'll curl up again after washing, as I can't iron them every time, but fingers crossed!!

Thanks again for your advice.

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories