hf1

Hemp questions!!

My avatar
slumberlion
Clothie
Clothie

Hemp questions!!

Postby slumberlion » Wed May 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi everyone! I'm knew here, so Im sorry if Im posting in the wrong place!!
I just wanted to ask about hemp...
Am I right in thinking that hemp is really absorbant, but doesnt absorb very quickly? I recently bought some hemp boosters to use at night, so should I be putting them as far away from my dds bum as poss...i.e inbetween a shaped nappy and wrap??
Also...Ive just bought the swaddlebees one size which is hemp and velour...and after finding out about how slow hemp is to absorb Im a little confused about it! Does anyone have any experience of this nappy? I was also looking at the swaddlebees pocket nappy for which you can buy a hemp insert...but again how would this work? Does one layer of velour really stop the wee from leaking before the hemp absorbs it? Does that make sense?
Sorry for the 50 questions!!!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Hemp questions!!

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed May 21, 2008 8:33 pm

Okay I'll try and answer all of them!!

1. Am I right in thinking that hemp is really absorbant, but doesnt absorb very quickly?
Yes :)

2. I recently bought some hemp boosters to use at night, so should I be putting them as far away from my dds bum as poss...i.e inbetween a shaped nappy and wrap??
Yes again but they don't have to be the last layer, as long as they've got something quicker absorbing as the layer above then they work fine so bamboo, microfibre or cotton all work well ontop of the hemp but if you're using wool as your wraps putting it outside the nappy doesn't always work...

3. Also...Ive just bought the swaddlebees one size which is hemp and velour...and after finding out about how slow hemp is to absorb Im a little confused about it! Does anyone have any experience of this nappy?
I don't have any experience of this nappy myself but I'm sure others can help :) You could always pop a fleece topped bamboo or cotton booster in

4.I was also looking at the swaddlebees pocket nappy for which you can buy a hemp insert...but again how would this work? Does one layer of velour really stop the wee from leaking before the hemp absorbs it? Does that make sense?
Nooooooooo steer well clear of the swaddlebees pockets! Most ppl find that these leak TONS! They're really narrow and don't suit very many babies shapes... By all means get one to try but don't buy more than one... You're much better off with anything else really!

Sorry for the 50 questions!!!
Ah question away :D

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Wed May 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Cant really add more to what Steph has already said but to second the swaddlebee pockets - unless your child is a very light wetter then I would not recommend them. They only suited William when he was a newborn but I think that was only because they get changed so often then anyway and now they are only emergency nappies.

Oh and ask away thats what we're here for!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu May 22, 2008 10:20 am

Yep - everything Steph and Beck said.

With the Swaddlebees onesize - it is a hemp and cotton velour mix, so the cotton velour layer absorbs first and the hemp in the middle is ultra absorbent. I love these and am now using them on Ben - a little bulkier than his size one nappies but will last for hours :D

Hth

My avatar
slumberlion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby slumberlion » Thu May 22, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks for all your answers...its helped loads!! :)

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories