hf1

Fleece liners

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Fleece liners

Postby evansmummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:17 pm

A friend needs fleece liners - i just cut up at blanket i bought and shes going to do the same but i cant remember what it needs to say on the label, i can remember there had to be a certain percentage of fabric, or have i made that up :oops:

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Fleece liners

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:03 pm

m bumping this up, because I also want to know if there is a certain type of fleece you have to use for liners. I got some black fleece for soakers, and its not very stretchy, so was wondering if i could use it for liners instead

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby evansmummy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:10 pm

red_dwarf wrote:m bumping this up, because I also want to know if there is a certain type of fleece you have to use for liners. I got some black fleece for soakers, and its not very stretchy, so was wondering if i could use it for liners instead

Thanx - hopefully someone knows..need to make more for bump too x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:11 pm

AFAIK any fleece is fine.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Louise wrote:AFAIK any fleece is fine.

See that confuses me, because what about fleece soakers, if fleece liners let the wee through, wont a fleece soaker just let the wee through then :-?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:21 pm

red_dwarf wrote:

See that confuses me, because what about fleece soakers, if fleece liners let the wee through, wont a fleece soaker just let the wee through then :-?

i *think* the idea is that is you pour copious amounts of water on fleece, it will go through -eg wee onto a liner.
but it lets small amounts of wetness evaporate into the air, so if you have a fitted nappy on, you would only be having the outer of the nappy slightky damp touching the fleece, so this will evaporate off rather than run through. if the outer of the nappy gets wet, the fleece will become damp.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:26 pm

tiyuricc wrote:
red_dwarf wrote:

i *think* the idea is that is you pour copious amounts of water on fleece, it will go through -eg wee onto a liner.
but it lets small amounts of wetness evaporate into the air, so if you have a fitted nappy on, you would only be having the outer of the nappy slightky damp touching the fleece, so this will evaporate off rather than run through. if the outer of the nappy gets wet, the fleece will become damp.

WSS. And I think most people make soakers out of thicker fleece too and generally include an extra layer in the wetzone for added protection.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:13 pm

Fab :-) thanks for that :-)

My avatar
flower child
Clothie
Clothie

Postby flower child » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:29 pm

fleece is hydrophobic, which means it will push water away (into the bamboo, which is lovely and absorbent). You can use any fleece for liners, but no-pill is preferred, so they don't look 'shabby' really quickly.

Fleece comes in many thicknesses. 100wt (weight) is quite thin, and 400wt is usually used on fleece soakers.

Fleece can also suffer compression leaking, (often when you're in a car seat for a long time) as it isn't waterproof, so if the bamboo 'fills up' it will start to leach back if that makes sense.

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories