hf1

Disposable or washable liners - pros and cons?

My avatar
Robins_Mummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Disposable or washable liners - pros and cons?

Postby Robins_Mummy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm new to cloth, and am not sure whether to buy the liners you can bin/flush, or ones you can wash. What are the pros and cons to both, and what types do you recommend? There are some more expensive washable liners, and then there are really cheap ones on ebay etc - is the extra cost for anything, or are they all much of a muchness?

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Disposable or washable liners - pros and cons?

Postby anothersquish » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:25 pm

I had disposable liners and used them for the first day to catch meconium but they were annoying and rumpled up and didnt feel nice (Id bought quite a few different types to try) I ended up giving them all away. I then bought fleece liners which were fine but poo still got on the nappy with it being runny BF poo! In the end I ditched the liners altogether but if you are going to go for anything Id say go for fleece and mke sure its decent quality else they wont last very long (go bobbly and ick very quick) or buy your own fleece blanket and simply cut it up!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:29 pm

I have never been a fan of paper liners. We always used fleece or minkee, turned out fleece made dd's bum sore so we stuck to minkee after that, still have them now and they will be used for this baby despite being pink and purple :giggle: Just cutting up a fleece blanket is a cheap way of making liners, no sewing required x

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Have you considered not bothering with liners at all? We didn't and got on fine.

My avatar
NaturalNursery
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby NaturalNursery » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:03 pm

Personally, I prefer the fleece ones. Yes you do have deal with the poo but it is easy and I think they:

a) feel nicer for baby

b) keep the bot drier than paper

c) work out cheaper in the long run

d) are really easy to use and wash when you are using cloth nappies anyway

I have some fleece that I use for nappy demos that I can send you if you want to have a go a making your own.

Just pm me your address.

axx

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:46 pm

We don't use liners. DD wears mainly pocket nappies with fleece inside anyway, so there's no need.

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:57 pm

I use fleece liners in most of my nappies. I buy the ones off ebay which are made by mums....one of them lives near my mum lol
I do sometimes use a flushable one when i know she is gonna do a number 2. Just makes it easier to get rid of down the loo.

:wave:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:00 pm

You don't need them for exclusively breastfed baby poo. Once dd was on solids, I used fleece. Hate paper. Fleece acts as a waterproof layer as well so it keeps the wetness away from babies bottom.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:26 pm

we dont use liners with eleanor unless ive used a bit of cream
except from a fleece liner overnight

in my experience, fleece ones stay in place better with a wriggling baby
but the paper ones are helpful for the early days of weaning - when you are still getting chunks of food!

definitely try and make your own from a cut up fleece blanket! very easy and so much cheaper! plus you can cut them to the exact size of your nappies

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories