hf1

First time using hemp

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

First time using hemp

Postby Cocobelle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:56 pm

I bought some fleece topped hemp boosters and have just used one for the first time in a BG. I used a bamboo booster inside the nappy and put the fleece topped hemp between the nappy and baby's skin. After approx. 20 mins he was soaked through at the top of the nappy

I've heard great things about hemp so where am I going wrong? Am I using the fabrics in the wrong order?

Help!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: First time using hemp

Postby monsterm » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Hemp is a slow absorber so it needs something that absorbs quickly on top. Put the bamboo between baby & hemp. It should make a difference. Also, it will take a few washes to build up the absorbancy of both the hemp & bamboo.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:17 pm

It will need a few washes to reach full absorbency and is also best washed at least once to get rid of oils etc on it before you use it. Hemp is slower to absorb than bamboo so the bamboo would be best ontop of the hemp, is the fleece sewn onto the hemp? if not then try putting the bamboo booster under the fleece.

A few washes though and they will be fine, stick with it, you will get there xx

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Cocobelle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:46 pm

They are preloved so should be at full absorbency. The fleece is sewn in so I can't separate them. But I could them inside the nappy and use bamboo on top.

Thanks. x

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Are you using just the bamboo and hemp boosters? I mean with no other inserts? If so I expect it just isn't absorbent enough. A booster (or 2) is designed to be used in addition to the main insert not instead. I made this mistake when I first got bamboo boosters too :giggle:

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Cocobelle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:36 pm

I used the bamboo instead of the microfibre insert that came with the BG. They are the same size. So should I use MF, bamboo and hemp together in one nappy?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Cocobelle wrote:I used the bamboo instead of the microfibre insert that came with the BG. They are the same size. So should I use MF, bamboo and hemp together in one nappy?

I'd use the microfibre & hemp
If you put the microfibre on top, it will really wick the moisture away fast from baby's bottom, allowing the hemp to absorb the moisture more slowly, but hold more.
That's why the blueberry old style inserts (MF/hemp combo) work so well for us

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Cocobelle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:53 pm

I'll give that a go, thanks!

All this info is much appreciated.

x

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:39 am

You can't use boosters instead of inserts hun. They are not absorbant enough.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories